Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 07:47 PM

We are about to take our first cruise, just wondering about the $$$$ that we see on the excursions. If we are going on a jeep ride and it reads $$$ is that for each person or for all 4 in the jeep?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:05 AM

Not sure what excursion list you are referring to with $$$$ signs - but if it is a ship's tour, their rates are usually per person. What cruise line are you using?
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 AM

The cruise lines almost always quote per person rates.

Tom
Old 06-17-2005, 04:05 PM

If you enter your reservation number on the cruise line web site you can get the exact price of the excursion,subject to change of course. If you don't know you reservation # call your travelagent.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:59 AM

Be prepared for some pretty stiff rates. I was a little surpriused on my first cruise as to how much the ship's excursions were. I've done some, and I think you really have to price compare for the experience you'll be getting.

When you cruise, if you thinking paying for your cruise, flights and taxes/fees is it, you're very wrong. With excursions, beverages, photos, shopping, alt dining, spa etc etc, your ship board account can add up to hundreds of dollars very quickly. I've learned to allow $500 for my account and then at least I know what to expect.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 06-26-2005, 10:34 AM

And don't forget tips. All the expenses that Kate mentioned are unger your control but tips are a min. of $10 a day.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Try to make some shore excursions on your own, by hiring a private taxi. Thats much cheaper, almost half of the prices from a tour, offered from the cruise line and not crowded. And often you can tell the driver, where you wanna go, where to stop. And they have sometimes really good advices for some other things, like shopping.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:22 PM

You can save a huge amount of money by doing the shore excursions on your own. Plus you usually won't be jammed in with a whole herd of other passengers. Do a bit of research online prior to your trip and you should be able to plan out your own shore excursions. The time exploring each port is the fun part of any cruise and is money well spent, but do it wisely.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.Carigem.org

www.Carigem.org
Old 07-17-2005, 07:53 PM

We did the exact same excursions but booked directly and saved quite a bit of money. in catalina island we were in the water snorkeling while they were waiting for everyone to assemble. By the time they finished we were well on our way to another spot. On my next cruise in Sept. We have booked all but one direct through the tour.....at least 1/2 the price

No more Huggies and Hamburger Helper...The Boys are in college.... So lets go have some fun!!

Monarch Of The Seas
Mexico Cruise
August 2003

Enchantment Of The Seas
New England
September 2005
http://www.myspace.com/thiakaren

Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 AM

I know Carnival has the little $ and they mean:
one $= approx $50 per person
two $$= app. $50-100 pp
3 $$$= app. $100-150 pp
4$$$$= app. $150 and up.

It can cost alot by the end of the day. This was the only serious area of complaint I had with carnival. We had questions about the excursion. We really needed more specific info on transportation and the involvement of our young daughter. I called carnival and they seemed a tad shocked that i called them for info. they said that they really didn't have anyone there that fielded calls about excursion questions. She actually sounded like I was the first one! Sure, but anyway they couldn't even give me the name of the company to call directly. She suggested we wait until we got on board to ask. Our dinner interfered with the excursion sign ups and we ended up going ashore with no plans or reservations. it turned out ok, we enjoyed our visit and didn't spend a ton of money...My husband didn't get to do much snorkeling and that's the one thing he said he really wanted to do there...whoops. We intially were going to take my young daughter to the dolphin thing but it was like 70-80 dollars per person and she would pay full price at 4 yrs old.

Carnival Fantasy 6/05
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 4/07
RCCL Navigator 12/07
RCCL Navigator 11/08
RCCL Liberty 7/4/09

Closed Thread