Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 AM
I know it's a 6 min taxi ride from the port to the jetboat ride of the reversing falls. Can anyone tell me where or how to see the Hopewell caves/rocks, St Martin's Sea Caves, Walk along Harbour Passage, and see the Loyalist Burial Grounds. Will we know before the cruise when the tides will be doing their thing so we can see it?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator

You're going to one of my favorite cities.

Here are some links I found useful in planning our most recent visit (July 2006). You will have to drive to the Hopewell Caves and St. Martin's, though.

Day trips

Loyalist trail walking tour

Tide tables - although it looks like this could use an update
Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Thank you Lisa. Any idea how far of a drive is Hopewell Caves and St. Martin? Do you think they are worth renting a car/driving to?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

You're welcome. I've never visited either place -- it's hard to get me out of Saint John, I love it so much. I know there are ship-sponsored excursions, but I'll look into doing this independently.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Lisa- besides the reversing falls, what do you suggest we do or see in St. John. We're only there 10am-6pm
Old 02-26-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cousins:
Thank you Lisa. Any idea how far of a drive is Hopewell Caves and St. Martin? Do you think they are worth renting a car/driving to?
From St. John N.B. to St. Martins is Est. Time: 51 minutes & Est. Distance: 34.56 miles.

The Fundy Trail is a scenic drive and there is a covered bridge at St. Martins. These are places to see if you want to get out of the city, see some of the countryside and if you have seen the Reversing Falls.

Is it worth renting a car? Yes, if you are interested in driving into the country and along the Fundy Trail. No, if you are looking for a "big" attraction once you get there.

We enjoyed our drive but had also seen the Reversing Falls, City Market Place, tower, etc. before we took the drive.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 02-27-2007, 04:48 AM
BJS I see you really are a serious cruiser!
Thanks for all of your help. This is a great website! If we book the jet boat it is a 40 min walk or 6 min taxi ride and the jet boat is $32 pp (we have 4 adults) The excursion through RCI is like $96 pp. I don't quite undertand the whole "reversing falls" thing. Are we going to "see" anything happening when were on this jetboat? Is the scenery beautiful? We dock at 10 am and we have 6:00 dinner...so we don't have a lot of time. Like you said maybe we should do the jetboat,-reversing falls, old market place, and what's "the tower"?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

cousins, here is some information on Martello Tower: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/nb/carleton/index_e.asp.

That's on our to-do list for next time.

As for suggestions beyond Reversing Falls, we loved walking the Loyalist Trail (particularly King's Square and the City Market), and the Cherry Brook Zoo (http://www.cherrybrookzoo.com/. The trip to the zoo was on a ship-sponsored excursion, but I've seen it offered only once.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Lisa, is the loyalist trail near the Old Burial Grounds? Have you done the jetboat reversing falls trip? I'm having trouble understanding where the jetboat is compared to the Reversing Falls Restaurant which I believe has an observation deck and cafe.
How far of a walk is it to go from the ship through the inside connection/pedway system to the city market and to King's Square, the Old Burial ground and back to the visitor center by city hall?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

My apologies, cousins. I just realized that I gave you the Loyalist Tour information but forgot to include the map! Here it is: Walking Tour Maps. The Loyalist trail includes the Old Burial Grounds (#2, in red), and is just a few blocks from the City Market. I'd say the City Market is about a 10- to 15-minute walk from the ship, and that may even be overstating it. The walk you planned is doable, and quite enjoyable.

I haven't done the Reversing Falls jetboat, although I visited the site several years ago on a ship excursion.

Closed Thread

Tags
brunswick, canada, cruise, cruises, falls, john, johns, loyalist, port, reservations, reversing, reviews, saint, ship, st, trail