Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2005, 06:38 PM

My wife and I will be cruising the Diamond Princess starting March 26. We will land at LAX and take a shuttle to the pier. We like to have a bottle of wine (or two) in our room. Boat prices are a bit stepp and we would rather not carry it in our luggage. Does anyone know if theres anywhere in or near the airport or pier where we can purchase this?

Thanks in advance

Harry
Old 03-10-2005, 08:00 AM

You should be able to find a liquor store on Century Blvd. (the main road to the airport) If you do not have a car, you can take a hotel shuttle bus up Century to the main hotel area. Try the Marriott shuttle.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 03-10-2005, 03:18 PM

Tom,
What about wine stores near the port in San Diego? Do you know if there are any close by?
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-10-2005, 03:57 PM

As a matter of fact, yes. Leave the "B" Street pier turn right one block just past the tourist information center and then turn left. Head into town. Turn right on the street before Horton Plaza (the hotel is on the corner) and go one block. You will find a grocery store (I think it is an Albertsons) on the south east corner. They have a KILLER wine department at great prices. You can incorporate the wine shopping in with a major shopping excursion to Horton Plaze and the Gas Lamp district.

Have a great day in San Diego

Tom
Old 03-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the information but we are leaving out of Los Angeles, (San Pedro) I believe
Old 03-11-2005, 06:51 AM

ask dad,
I believe Tom's message offering specific directions on where to purchase wine at the port in San Diego was intended for me. He reponded to your inquiry by suggesting you stop on Century Blvd along your way from the airport to the port. However, if you are planning to utilize the cruise lines shuttle service, stopping along the way is not going to be an option. You would probably have to get a taxi from either point as there is nothing within walking distance, which by itself would make the wine purchases more expensive and thus not worth the hassle. What is your first port of call? Maybe that would be your best spot for buying a couple of bottles for the room.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 AM

Nancy and/or Tom

Wouldn't this information be aa moot point or wine in the room, brought on board as a carry-on, since I am under the notion that all alcoholic beverages are not released until the last night to your cabin?

David Landry
Old 03-11-2005, 09:49 AM

Actually, I believe that NCL is the only cruise line confiscating wine when it is carried on board. I have taken wine aboard in plain view without trouble on other lines.

Tom
Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 AM

Tom
Would this apply to all liquor, such as a bottle of scotch, or just wine?

David Landry
Old 03-11-2005, 01:21 PM

Nancy, sorry, my misread.

Princess has never stopped us from taking wine and beer to the rooms, only spirits. It looks like we either check out the duty free in the airport, bring some from home or just break down and purchase it on the boat. I know that Port Everglands is a short walk to shopping areas and San Juan has a duty free right there in the pier. We've never been to LA or on this particular itinerary.

Hey, it's vacation. I'll pay just about any thing to make life easy for that week. Thanks for all the info.

Harry

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, ca, corkage, cruise, diego, juan, location, oggy, pier, piers, port, purchase, san, shopping, wine