Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 07:34 PM

Hello, we just returned from New Orleans, Dec 18-22,2004. Woke up Sunday am, looked out my window in the Marriott to see Carnival & NCL in the port of NO. Being a fellow cruiser, I thought I would share my insights. For anyone interested, the Hilton in NO is pretty much, the closest hotel to the port. The Hilton is actually in the CBD (central business district), it borders the french quarter. For all you light sleepers, like me, the train that runs between the hotel and the terminal, would be a deter to staying there. Otherwise, if you can sleep through a freight train, or are into ear plugs, (like me), this would be a very convenient hotel to stay prior to a cruise out of NO. We were in the Marriott about 2-3 short blocks away, 21 floors up, and I could hear the train in my room. Other options closer to the FQ would be the Marriott, and the Sheraton. The Sheraton is in the CBD, but across the street from the FQ. By the way, we got our room on priceline, I requested a 4 star in the FQ for $50/night, and the Marriott accepted my offer, of course it was the week before XMAS, at least we know the Marriott does priceline. My next cruise is July 7th, the 10 day R/T San Fran on Princess Regal. I can't wait. I hope this helps anyone going out of NO for a cruise. By for now, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-26-2004, 07:34 PM

Hello, we just returned from New Orleans, Dec 18-22,2004. Woke up Sunday am, looked out my window in the Marriott to see Carnival & NCL in the port of NO. Being a fellow cruiser, I thought I would share my insights. For anyone interested, the Hilton in NO is pretty much, the closest hotel to the port. The Hilton is actually in the CBD (central business district), it borders the french quarter. For all you light sleepers, like me, the train that runs between the hotel and the terminal, would be a deter to staying there. Otherwise, if you can sleep through a freight train, or are into ear plugs, (like me), this would be a very convenient hotel to stay prior to a cruise out of NO. We were in the Marriott about 2-3 short blocks away, 21 floors up, and I could hear the train in my room. Other options closer to the FQ would be the Marriott, and the Sheraton. The Sheraton is in the CBD, but across the street from the FQ. By the way, we got our room on priceline, I requested a 4 star in the FQ for $50/night, and the Marriott accepted my offer, of course it was the week before XMAS, at least we know the Marriott does priceline. My next cruise is July 7th, the 10 day R/T San Fran on Princess Regal. I can't wait. I hope this helps anyone going out of NO for a cruise. By for now, Lil' Lori

Old 12-27-2004, 09:03 AM

Great help! I would also add that I would plan on going into New Orleans at least a day in advance to enjoy the city and its wonderful restaurants and night life.

Tom
Old 12-27-2004, 02:42 PM

Being a nearby (60 miles) native, I would be happy to anwers questions about the Cajun culture, where to eat, see and avoid. With time, I would even provide tours of cajun country.

David Landry
Old 01-25-2005, 09:16 AM

Hi Lori,

Thank you for the great hotel info. My only question, did you drive or fly in? Did the Marriott allow you to park and cruise?

Thank you,
Jules
Old 01-25-2005, 08:52 PM

Hi Jules. We flew into NO from Phoenix. I do not know if the Marriott allows "park & cruise". On priceline we got the Marriott for $50 a night. On the Marriott website they wanted $119 a night for the same nights. If you do priceline for a hotel, I would suggest staying in the french quarter, in a 4 star hotel. I did alot of hotel research, reading reviews on Tripadvisor. Some of the hotels are a little "too historic", it sounded like. I figure the 4 star hotels would be the safest. Enjoy your night on Bourbon Street and your cruise. Lil, Lori

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, forums, hotels, marriott, ncl, orleans, park, port, review, stay