Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 10:57 AM

My husband and I have left a couple of days on either side of our cruise (to ensure we don't miss the boat). We arrive in Miami late on Wed. nite and our cruise leaves from Ft. Lauderdale on the Friday.

Question: Any ideas on the best sites to see/things to do while in Miami? We've also got a similar 1.5 days at the end of our trip, although we want to see a hockey game -- we Canadians can't miss out on hockey for too long! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Is there any good outlet shopping (clothes, specifically)? Also, is it possible to get to the Keys for a day, or do we need more time?

Thanks,
Chump1
Old 12-29-2002, 04:33 PM

If I had seen this, would have answered it all in 1. Used to have a condo in Fort Lauderdale, now North of Tampa. Will you be staying in Miami or Fort Lauderdale. Beach for Fort Lauderdale, if you're that type of person. Also, the Jungle Queen cruise that lasts a couple of hours, takes you around the canals, so you can see all the magnificent homes and yachts. It also stops at a Seminole Indian location, that sell goods, and put on a small show. You also have the Riverwalk in Fort Lauderdale, and Las Olas Boulevard, Florida's version of Rodeo Drive of Beverly Hills.
Nice restaurants in both locations. Sawgrass Mall is a wonderful shopping place, but a good 30-45 minute ride from the beach, depending on traffic. JaiLai is available in Hollywood (between FL & Miami). You asked about Key West. I did it once when I was younger, and my husband and I started out 3 additional times. It's over 200 miles each way from FL, and not wasy driving with the bridges. We stopped there this past January on a cruise. Lovely and different place, and will probably fly down to spend a few days there later in the Spring. Rule that out for a 1 day trip. Maybe next time. Several people were doing Everglades trips when we got off the cruise earlier this month. Have stopped at the viwing platform, but never have gone into the Everglades. There's a nice Zoo in Miami, as well as the Miami Seaquarium, so a lot of options are available. Have fun! See my post regarding Diamond Jewelry under I believe the Carnival site. Beware of good deals on the islands.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:57 AM

In Miami or Ft. Lauderdale umm? If you like shopping I'd suggest South Beach which runs from Collins Avenue and 2nd street through about 50th Street, on Miami Beach. From 2nd to 18th Avenue & Collins are mostly stores. If you want to go to a big mall, which Macys' or Burdines that sort of thing hit Aventura Mall. You might also like Dolphin Mall its near the Turnpike it has a movie theater and Dave & Busters. You should eat at Prima Pasta on Miami Beach on 71 Street i think the address is 400-71Street, The #1 Italian Food in Miami Beach.

Ft. Lauderdale ummm.. it depends what you see there. Las Olas is nice to walk around but they have more of a night life.

KEY West is 4 hours away from Miami. Its like going to Disney World. Key West is nice, I personally like it. you get to jet ski and rent motorcycles and its very small.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:25 AM

I have to disagree with the previous quote. My condo was right on Las Olas, and it's certainly not known for the night life. It's known for the shops. Sawgrass Mall is one of the nicest that I've seen, and Riverwalk can't be touched, except by San Antonio's Riverwalk. As far as getting to Key West from Miami, sure maybe 4 hours without traffic or accidents, but that's in each direction. I assume you would want to spend time there, and 8 hours on the road wouldn't allow you much time for anything. I would not attempt the bridges at night, especially not being familiar with them. Might be different if you were going in the Summer with longer days. Just a few points to keep in mind. Besides Sawgrass Mall, FL also has Sunrise Mall on Sunrise Blvd., which is the Northern end of the Beach. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Closed Thread

Tags
15, beach, couples, cruise, day, days, fort, im, lauderdale, miami, miamifort, port, post, stuff, things, tour