Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 04:08 PM

I am going on my first cruise in august and was wondering which port is best to depart from new orleans, galveston, or mobile all of these are about the same distance away. thanks
Old 01-29-2005, 04:08 PM

I am going on my first cruise in august and was wondering which port is best to depart from new orleans, galveston, or mobile all of these are about the same distance away. thanks
Old 01-29-2005, 04:35 PM

I haven't been to Mobile or Galveston, but New Orleans' port has some good points. It's near the French Quarter, there are several hotels nearby should you wish to stay overnight before or after the cruise (very convenient) and, best of all, if the wait in the cruise terminal gets long, you have access from there directly to the Riverwalk Mall.

Another thing to consider besides the ports is which ships depart from each. In my opinion, the newer ships tend to be better - nicer, cleaner, better atmosphere onboard, and perhaps better food.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:08 PM

If location is the only factor, Mobile is your best bet. But you only have one choice, the Carnival Holiday, a 3 star ship offering 3 & 4 day cruises. Depending on where you are in Louisiana, New Orleans affords you the most choices of ships, in winter with Carnival, RCCL, NCL, and Delta Queen based here. Crystal stops here on occasion, and even P&O Lines, the Adonia in particular, was in port here for three days before continuing on to Cozumel, this being her last stop in the states. She is leaving P&O, a Carnival company, later this year.

David

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, depart, departing, orleans, port, ports, ship, ships