Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 12:12 AM

Hey yall,
I have been riding horses since i was five (i am now 13) but it has been my dream to ride on the beach. My father and I are going on a cruise from 3-28 thru 4-2 on the enchantment of the seas, in the booklet i read about horseback riding but that was through the jungle and thats not what i want to do. Does anyone know of a place to go riding on the beach and if that is not a sceduled stop on the boat then how will that work?
if that is a stupid question then i am sry but this is my first cruise so i am a little new at this
thanks
Old 04-01-2005, 08:59 AM

Hi! Boy, I wish I had seen this before you left! I will post my response in case it helps anyone else with the same question.

I had the same dream, too and I got the chance to do this on my honeymoon in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We went to Chukka Cove Polo Club for a sedate horseback ride ("walk") down to the ocean's edge. We got the chance to walk the horses into the surf which, if you were an inexperienced rider, was a challenge with some of the horses who were not interested in joining you in the water.
I had struck up a conversation with our guide, Michael, and he called me back over to the horses after they had been unsaddled and everyone else had gone to the cabana for a rum drink. He and I then raced the horses through the surf which was mid-belly high on the horses! It was a huge challenge to remain on the horse with the surf pressing against your legs as you move and I often slid right off the back of the horse but I had a ball! My husband said you could hear me laughing on the other side of the island!
I managed to get a couple of canters in around a ring back at the barn and a couple of jumps in under the instructional guide of Michael before we headed back to the ship.

All in all, a great experience. Not sure if that would typically happen with all guides but Michael sure made my dreams come true!

CamperMom

Closed Thread

Tags
aruba, horseback, riding