Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM

Hello - crusin on Carnival from NYC to Saint John in June on the Triumph. Doesnt seem that the port has much to offer - Any suugestions on what to see/do. 26 year old couple who like exploring.

Any things about the ship we should know about ?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Vaneska - - I've not been there, however, I usually look for a site specific website to see what's available. You can search to the port name and find what comes up. Chambers of commerce, tourism boards, historical societies ... it's always interesting what pops up on a search. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
This site might help
http://www.tourismsaintjohn.co....cfm?section=8&lang=

It depends on what interests you
there is the Reversing Falls, military sites, shopping , museums
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Hi vaneska, and welcome to cruise-chat!

We've been to St. John several times during cruises, and it is a favorite port. The link Lyn gave you should give some ideas, and is the main one I use to plan our own trips there. From what you described, I think you might like the Reversing Falls Rapids speedboat. Most lines offer this as an excursion, or you could book it on your own.

There are also some fabulous walking tours on the site Lyn referenced. We've done three of them, and I highly recommend them if you're into history.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Hi Vaneska,

Just wanted to make sure that when you research via external websites, you look for things pertaining to Saint John, New Brunswick.

St. John (or St John's) is Newfoundland - different province, although still the Maritimes. It was one of those annoying little hick-ups in Canadian Geography/History class.

I'm Canadian and I still haven't been to New Brunswick - but I checked out the excursions and I'd probably do the MooseHead excursion just because it's got that east coast pub/entertainment vibe is I wanted a taste of the local vibe in 3 hours.

The real gem is the Bay of Fundy (as you can probably tell by all of the excursions that have Bay of Fundy thrown in) - it's probably considered a must see if you were to go on vacation there - they have the highest tide in the world I believe. It's also probably pretty beautiful.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 AM
We were going to do the reversing falls...but our ship could not get into the Bay of Fundy due to fog....another day at sea it was!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 PM
vaneska -
A trip out to the Hopewell Rocks is an awesome life experience - then again St.John is worthy of a day's visit! We may be on the same cruise- I am out bound on the CCL Triumph on June 11th from NYC myself!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
brunswick, ca, canada, cruise, day, excursions, ideas, john, johns, miss, nb, ny, review, saint, st, things