Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
There is so much to do in Nova Scotia. We were wondering if we should rent a car and drive to Peggy's Cove. It would take probably 3-4 hours out of our day. Is it totally worth not seeing everything else in order to fit this in?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cousins:
There is so much to do in Nova Scotia. We were wondering if we should rent a car and drive to Peggy's Cove. It would take probably 3-4 hours out of our day. Is it totally worth not seeing everything else in order to fit this in?
It is more a question of what is most important to you. Peggy's Cove is one of the places that most everyone that goes to Nova Scotia goes to see. It is a big rocky area on the coast with a lighthouse (post office inside) and a gift store/restaurant. There is a Fisherman's Memorial plaque and some fishermen's houses just before the parking area but not much else there. Nearby is the memorial for the plane that went down in the ocean just off the coast.

Are you going from Halifax? Does the Citadel hold more interest for you? If you are more interested in this type of history, want to browse the shops, or go to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic to see the Titanic exhibit you might not want to drive all the way to Peggy's Cove.

We've been to both Peggy's Cove and Halifax several times and the suggestion I would give would be to do a search and read up on what is there. If you also do a photo search of these places it might give you a better idea of actually what you'll be seeing.

Hope this helps.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 02-27-2007, 04:38 AM
This is what we were wanting to fit in...8:00 am rental can drive to Peppy's Cove, see the Swiss Air Memorial,drive back to Halifax to Fairview Cemetary,lunch, then return car and have them gives us the complimentary drop off at the Victorian Garden take a few pictures,walk to St Mary's Basilica and Old Burial Ground (for pictures only)walk to the Old Town Clock, walk to St. Paul's Church, and try to see the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.
Must be back on ship by 3:30/depats 4. ???What do you think?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

cousins, that is a lot to do in one visit. Even if you omit Peggy's Cove, that's still a very busy day. The Maritime Museum will take a minimum of two hours, and even then you won't see most of it.

I'd suggest either combining a visit to Peggy's Cove with one other attraction close to the pier (such as the Immigration Museum at Pier 21), or doing the other items on your list and omitting Peggy's Cove.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:24 AM
You're so right. We've decided to drop Peggy's Cove and Fairview Lawn Cemetery. We have a lot of cemetaries and other lighthouses we are going to see at different ports. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

You're welcome, shari. Can you tell that Halifax is one of my favorite places in the world?

I hope you enjoy your visit as much as I've enjoyed mine.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 PM
There is way to many cool things for one short day! We'll have to fly back (from sunny Palm Beach) when we have more time!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 AM

Not sure when you are visiting Nova Scotia but Peggy's Cove, to me, was just a big rock with a light house. Very under whelming. I'm sure other like it but if you seen on rock at the ocean.......

Enjoy Life,
Caseyg

Caseyg
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM

Whether a trip to Peggy's Cove is worth it is totally personal preference. We spent two weeks touring Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island by car. I found Peggy's Cove to be one of the highlights of our trip. My teen daughter loved climbing the rocks and we had a lobster dinner at the restaurant afterwards. Where visiting museums are interesting, our family preferred scenery and atomsphere.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

One of the highlights of a trip to Peggy's Cove is the scenery you pass along the way. And, once there, Peggy's Cove is a photographer's dream.

There is so much to do with only a day ported in Halifax that it's a shame the ships can't stay longer.

Closed Thread

Tags
car, carnival, closest, companies, cove, cruise, halifax, nova, peggys, port, rental, renting, review, reviews, scotia, ship