Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM

We will be in Newport early October btween 7am and 4pm. We are thinking to join one of the local tours to visit one of the mansions, 10-mile Ocean Drive and other attractions. Cliff Walk didn't seem to be mentioned in the tours too much. Is Cliff Walk something we shouldn't miss? Personally, I would like to take a short walk. Which section is the best? How can we plan for it on top of the local tour?

My research shows that the city bus Route 67 is one option to take us to the mansions and Cliff Walk. But I'd also prefer a narrated drive for other attractions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 AM

We did the Cliff Walk when we stayed in Newport for a week about four years ago. It is a "nice to do" and I plan to do it on our cruise later this month as we have visited the other main attractions. I wouldn't do the walk in preference to visiting one of the mansions as the mansions really are stunning. There is one main street on which several of the mansions are located. You might want to consider walking that. Frankly you are ahead of me as far as getting to the Cliff Walk. I need to get busy! I wouldn't want to do the Cliff Walk if the weather were not good.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-01-2010, 02:18 AM

Addendum to what I just wrote. I did a search on the Cliff Walk after the last posting and that jogged my memory. We did not complete the Cliff Walk as the path deteriorated after a couple of miles and we ended up scrambling over large boulders and rocks. I suspect you have already seen this but here's the link. http://www.cliffwalk.com/ The part we did see was lovely, which according to the website would be the northern part, the southern part being described as "challenging".

Old 09-01-2010, 03:26 AM
BritChris,
I am from RI and the Mansions are fabulous, the Breakers being my favorite, complete with Japanese Tea House in the back of the House overlooking the Ocean. The Rosecliff is second for me. I always go home for the Seafood too !
You will love it Have a wonderful cruise

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 09-01-2010, 04:16 AM

I would second janfred's comments, being from New England we have been there a couple of times and the mansions are stunning and will take up much of your time as you marvel over how the elite socialites spent there summers in Newport; enjoy.

Peterl

Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the comments. I called the tour operations. You guys are the experts. How does the plan below sound?

1. Tour starts at 10 AM from Visitor's Center
2. Narrated tour (Sightseeing) 10 - 10:30
3. Stop by the Cliff Walk for 15 mins if weather is good
4. Continue the narrated tour til 11:20
5. Drop off at the mansion of our choice (end of the guided tour)
6. Visit the Breakers for 2 hours
7. Go to the Cliff Walk from the back of the Breakers. Walk north to the beginning of the Cliff Walk
8. Take the yellow trolley back to Visitor's Center (They will us a $5 one way ticket.)

p.s. They said that bring your own water and snacks. Restaurants are only in the Marble House and the Elm.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:09 PM

There are others who have replied who are more expert on the area than I but your plan looks good to me. Glad you picked the Breakers as the mansion to visit. I've been there twice and it never ceases to thrill. Second choice to me would be Marble House but I frankly think one mansion a day is enough. They are quite overwhelming. Good idea to take your own refreshments. There are none along the Cliff Walk. We found the Japanese Tea House closed when we were there. No restrooms either on that walk.
Speaking of Marble House it was built by one of the Vanderbilts as a gift to his wife who then divorced him and moved down the street to Belcourt, another mansion. Someone else noted Rosecliff as a favorite. I really like its exterior. In the old days we'd say take plenty of film!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

I'd love to see those mansions. I am a fan of old estates, homes, architecture. I remember when I first saw Frederick Vanderbilt's estate in Hyde Park. My first thought was "he lived in a court house". But then it was only a vacation home.

Tags
cliff, cruise, drive, house, lives, mansion, mansions, marble, newport, ocean, port, reviews, ri, tea, tour, walk