Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 01:16 PM

We are taking the Caribbean Princess cruise to Canada and New England in September. I'm working on shore excursions and am considering renting a car in Saint John. We've not been there before and I am concerned that the tours offered by Princess will not show me what I'd like to see - visible change in the tide in the Bay of Fundy and local architecture and scenery. We are only docked from 8-5. I've checked the Saint John visitor website but am not captivated by what they have to offer either. Is it best to take a tour in Saint John or travel independently?
I'm also thinking of taking one of the Reverse Rapids jetboats. Has anyone done this? I am 61, my husband 72. We are pretty adventurous and have been on a jetboat, albeit 24 years ago! I thought it was fun then!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Administrator

If you want to see the entire reversing falls cycle then it is true that most tours won't cover the whole thing. I see Avis has a rental lot on Water Street near the port so that is certainly doable. As for the jet boat - I've not done it but it is listed as having "substantial level of physical activity".
Old 05-31-2010, 05:44 AM

Thanks for noting the substantial activity. I thought I could cope with that until I read some more reviews and saw some photographs. About half of the reviews complained about drenching cold water and misery. I'd forgotten the water would be so cold! I will probably rent a car so I can visit the reversing falls at two different times and tour elsewhere in between. I really would like to see the contrast in the tides.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 PM

BritChris - I am going to take the same cruise in Oct, 2010. I saw the estimated schedule of the reversing tides somewhere and it seemed to suggest the tides would occur after 5.

Dave - Am I correct? If so, we won't be able to see the tides due to the ship schedule. Also, what do you suggest doing for sightseeing in Sait John? Many thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 AM

HappyColor - I decided that Princess didn't offer what I wanted to see. I found that the tides weren't favorable at the times Princess was going to take me to see them. Really what I wanted was a sort of before and after effect so I could take photos. I'm going to rent a car from Avis which appears to be in walking distance of the pier, see the tidal area and also drive up to Saint Martin's, supposedly a charming fishing village. I will then drive back to the tidal area and hopefully see the difference in sea level. Avis has a 150 km mileage restriction on the car but I think that is about what I will need. I'll let you know after I return. We leave on September 18.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM

Hi BritChris,
If you haven't already, visit fundytrailparkway.com for all the info you need regarding St Martins and how to get there from Saint John. You will absolutely love the scenery. Have a great trip!
B
Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM
BritChris......The Bus tour out to the SeaCaves in St.John will take you out to the Village of St. Martin, it is well narrated by a local and fascinating and will stop for some great Clam Chowder. It will also will stop twice at the reversing falls...Once on the way out and once on the return...enough time elapses that you will observe both tidal conditions!!

The scenery is gorgeous and fascinating...the Bay of Fundy is quite enchanting!!!I will be repeating this same tour in just a few short weeks....I will also be going up to O'Leary's Pub (near the dock) to finish off the case of Moosehead Beer that Dave was unable to polish off last year!!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
Old 08-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Bub - Thanks for the fundytrail website link. I wasn't aware of it and it is very informative.
Billybuzzy - I may change my plan and use the Princess tour. It does sound nice and if it visits the reversing falls area twice it may be easier than trying to hit it at the right time myself. You've certainly given me something to think about!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Hey BritChris - You are welcome, doing the tour takes away your freedom to go where you want and when but it also takes away all the stress of driving in a stange city/area. My hubby loves the challenge of the driving but if it were me doing the driving, I'd be on the tour. Hope you get great weather and enjoy my province and country.

Billybuzzy - Have you thought about doing the Fundy Park/the Rocks tour instead of a repeat to St. Martins? If you are afraid you may not get to O'Leary's, you could always grab a case of Moosehead and have a few on the bus. Have fun!
B
Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Bub....Yes indeed a tour of the Hopewell Rocks is an awesome tour...but isnot in the cards this voyage!!!St.John is a favorite port and I have cruised there several times......You know I'm goin'after the MooseHead!!

BillyBuzzy

Tags
brunswick, car, cruise, docks, john, johns, nb, pier, port, rent, rental, rentals, saint, st, tour