Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2002, 07:42 PM

My husband and myself are going on the Enchantment of the Seas in January. Eastern Caribbean. What excursions would be the best. Has anyone been on the "party boats"? WHat is it like? I'm not a great swimmer so I don't want to be dropped in the middle of whatever, but I would like to snorkel.

What is parasailing like. I would love to do it..but, do they dump you in deeeep water?! Sorry I am not a woose, but I'm not the greatest of swimmers.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:42 PM

My husband and myself are going on the Enchantment of the Seas in January. Eastern Caribbean. What excursions would be the best. Has anyone been on the "party boats"? WHat is it like? I'm not a great swimmer so I don't want to be dropped in the middle of whatever, but I would like to snorkel.

What is parasailing like. I would love to do it..but, do they dump you in deeeep water?! Sorry I am not a woose, but I'm not the greatest of swimmers.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:39 PM

I believe RCL has pre-booking of excursions, as does the sister company, Celebrity. If they do, you should be getting a booklet shortly, listing all excursions, descriptions, prices, and how to order. With that in mind, sit down with your husband, figure out what you want to see or experience, and weed out what you're not interested in. We've never done a party boat, but have seen some coming back to the ship. It's constant drinking. On a January cruise that stopped in Cozumel, we saw 2 young men being dragged back on the ship. I wouldn't consider that as a snorkeling trip, but as a drinking trip. As far as parasailing, all the ships that I've been on, all tell you the same thing, UNSAFE unless it's offered from the ship, and I think I might have seen that on a couple of occasions. This falls in the same category as mopeds, as you'll be in relatively poor areas where safety isn't an issue, and equipment isn't maintained under government standards. If you're stopping in St. Thomas, plan on a short morning tour, a bus trip to the top of the island that offers a spectacular view. They'll drop you off in town, where you can shop til you drop. All cruise lines have "recommended stores". I tend to stay away from the jewelry chain stores that they suggest, as it is always a "bait and switch tactic", showing you a nice inexpensive ring or tennis bracelet, and when you get there, they never have them. They also "give" you free diamond earrings, and that's another story. They're microscopic at best. Know your jewelry and be prepared to bargain. If you need linens, make sure you have all your measurements with you. There's several good linen shops there. You can also bring back 4 liters of liquor per person if you're stopping in St. Thomas. The airlines have very strict new guidelines about weight, as well as size. Go into the individual site of whatever airline you're going on, and read and print out the guidelines. Measure your suitcases carefully, and I would suggest that you go a couple of inches under to be on the safe side. Half an inch or a pound over could very easily cost you hundreds of dollars. We took a cruise in August and 1 bag 56 lbs., and the other 73 lbs. Had to transfer things on the floor of the airport. We were lucky she allowed us to do it, and saw people paying, as they had no place to put extra things. Even though you booked with a friend of a friend, they can still supply you with valuable info. Upgrades, I wouldn't even think about it. If they are available at all, they go to repeat customers for the most part. We've done a lot of sailing, and only gotten them twice. It depends on the time of year you're going. January is a pretty busy month, where people want to get out of the ice and snow. You could far more easily get an upgrade in August or September during hurricane season, but then who wants to take that chance. If you plan on doing suning, get a little pre-tanning before you go. The intensity of the sun is far different that what we're used to, and get a good sunblock. This can prevent a lot of trouble down the road.Hope this has been a little helpful. Have fun, and let us know how you make out. I'm sure you'll be a repeat cruiser. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 04:12 PM

You have been very helpful. My husband and I have a garmet bag and a 30inch case. My carry on will be the shampoo and stuff. HIs will be the camera and stuff. We want to pack as light as possible. We are also Gold Wingers(motorcyle). We ride alot in the summer and you have to pack light. When your only pulling a small trailer which only fits a cooler and our duffle bags, big(overstuffed) bags are not a choice.

Thanks on the info about the excursions. I really want to snorkel. Is it still warm in January down in the Caribbean. I realize it will be alot warmer than Ohio, but just curious on what the average temp is.

I heard about the shops in St.Thomas. I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 04:20 PM
Banned

Para sailing is the same as sitting in a swing. You are sitting in a chair and seem to be floating in air. It is no big deal. Try it once and chances are you will not be impressed enough to do it again. If you are afraid of heights you may have a problem. If you notice they always have the para sailing close to the ships or beach. This is mainly for advertising to get other people to think that they need to do this.

Party ships are fun and the main reason is to have fun and get intoxicated. If you are liberal minded and like to do let loose once in a while you will enjoy a party boat.

The water temp is usually around 80. And the water is crystal clear. It is worth going snorkeling off of a party boat. They do not "dump or drop" you off. You are taken to a snorkel site and the boat anchors. You are given the equipment and everyone gets in the water and snorkels around the boat. A couple of the crew members are usually in the water with you and a couple stay on board watching the snorkelers. If you have a problem someone will rescue you. The snorkeling is usually 30 minutes. The rest of the time is for drinking, dancing, games and etc. It is a party boat.

I asked the owner of one of the stores in St Thomas why they were no longer on the recommended list. He said that it was getting too expensive. He had to pay $600.00 for every ship that came in port and some days there maybe 6 ships or more. He said the customers are going to come anyways.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

[This message was edited by RIDGID on November 23, 2002 at 03:30 PM.]
Old 11-23-2002, 08:35 PM

Interesting Ridgid about the amount they have to pay the ships to be recommended. I always figured they got something back, but never heard it officially. As far as party boats, aren't there some that just party and not snorkel, and some a mixture of both, at least I've been led to believe that, but might be wrong. If that is the case, make sure you pick the right one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2002, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the infor concerning what excursion to pick. We'll probably do it off the web site,but what area or Island is a better choice to snorkle off of. Or are they all alike?

We are doing The Eastern Caribbean. 7 day cruise. Royal Caribbean.

Thanks again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 11:01 AM

On St. Thomas book a snorkle boat to St. john or take a cab to Coki beach to snorkle.You will want to leave time to shop.

Closed Thread

Tags
good, snorkel, swimmer