Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2002, 03:36 AM

Norway calling!!
This will be our first cruise and I would like to ask if anyone can recommend something really nice to to when we arrive Progreso and Conzumel, Mexico. Is it nice to go on our own or would you recommend to take an organized trip!? Please let me hear different experiences.

Anyone else out there who will be on the same cruise?

lhfroiland
Old 12-31-2002, 03:36 AM

Norway calling!!
This will be our first cruise and I would like to ask if anyone can recommend something really nice to to when we arrive Progreso and Conzumel, Mexico. Is it nice to go on our own or would you recommend to take an organized trip!? Please let me hear different experiences.

Anyone else out there who will be on the same cruise?

lhfroiland
Old 01-07-2003, 07:45 PM

Hello!

My husband and I just took our second cruise. This time on the Maasdam Christmas cruise to the Western Caribbean. HOpe the information below helps!

COZUMEL- If you love to spend time in the water, this is the place to be. We highly recommend Chankanaab National Park. This park has beautiful snorkeling, swim with the dolphins program, and nature trails. There is a lot for children to do here as well! There are many stands where you can rent equipment for diving and snorkeling as well as facilities and lockers for your things. I believe you can purchase a guided snorkeling tour if you are new to snorkeling. We did this and had a blast! From the port, you can get a cab to this park for about $5. each way and the park is a quick 10 minute ride. Entrance into the park is about 10 dollars. Enjoy!

PROGRESO- I have to be honest...I thought this was a horrible port of call. If you don't like to be bothered to purchase things, you may want to stay on the ship. I found progreso to be a very poverished and depressing place to be. As soon as we got off of the bus, we found a vendors market place. I was harassed by a vendor who got a bit personal with me because I did not buy what he was selling. I felt like I was back in Manhattan during the 1970's. The town of progreso is very poor and there is not much to do. I understand Progreso was practically demolished by a hurricane some years ago and that it has been struggling to get back on its feet. Some cruisers took a 2 hour bus trip to see the ruins. That is another option. If I had to go back to progreso, I would take the bus to a town called Merida. I understand from fellow cruisers this town was a bit bigger and had some nice buildings. Apparently that town is in better shape. My husband and I spent an hour in Progreso and returned back to the ship to enjoy the "not so crowded" pool and sunshine! Good luck! Happy Sailing!
Old 01-08-2003, 10:41 AM

Thank you very much for answering me.
We are looking foreward to the C. National Park!!We really enjoy snorkling which we have tried e.g. in Egypt where it was really wonderful.

About Progreso - well - I will try to search and read about the place at internett, but perhaps it will be wonderful to stay for the day at the boat.

I am wondering about the money - valuta - at those places. Do you pay stuff you buy with your Visa-card, change to their money or is it possible to use american dollars?

Thanks again,
lhf

lhfroiland
Old 01-20-2003, 09:20 AM

I second Chankanaab-has snorkeling, botanical and archeological sections. Fantastic!

In Progresso-there is a company-I think it is called Yucatan Travel-will arrange tours to the ruins-I would not pass up the opportunity to see the magnificent ruins-I think the excursions are to the ruins that are somewhat off the beaten path-such as Panlenque, Uxmal-rather than those accessbile from Cozemul and Playa del Carmen-namely Tulum and Chichen Itza.

Closed Thread