Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 PM

As i said,we are going to Casablanca.And also Barcelona,Gibraltar,Madeira,Portugal and the Canary Islands.We can use any help on any sightseeing trips and excursions.
Many Thanks,
Happy Sailing Trudy and Bob
Old 08-15-2006, 10:20 PM

You might want to check out the sister site www.portreviews.com
Old 10-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Hello. We are going to Morocco for 2.5 weeks the end of May. I have been doing LOTS of research. If you want to go into a mosque, you can go into the Mosque of Hassan II. It was built in 1992-1993, opened in 1993. The tour books say it is the "second largest reliqious building in the world after the mosque in Mecca." It is one of only a very few mosques in the world that allow non-muslin in it. The minaret is 656 ft high, you will probably see it from the port. Lonely Planet say you have to take a guided tour to get in, costing about $11-12 (according to the tour book), and must be dressed "respectfully". The pictures of it look absolutely beautiful. We are definately going there. We are only staying in Casablanca for 1 night, because most of the historical sights are not in Casablanca. Casablanca is a relatively "new" city, compared to the others. The original Berber town of Anfa was destroyed by a earthquake in 1755. Casablanca rised up in its place. Anyways, Lonely Planet recommends shopping at the "Quartier Habous", for the most "pleasant and picturesque" place to shop. Until the early 1900's, Casablanca was only a "medina", a walled Arab town. Then the French invaded, and it slowly evolved into a bustling city, and "Moroccos busiest port". Anyways, you can take a taxi to the old medina, for a more authentic feel of old Morocco. Taxis seem to be pretty cheap, from what I have read. For great cafes and "smart shops" another tour book recommends the "crossroads of Boulevards Zerktouni and d'Anfa". There are also museums, and other stuff. I could go on much longer but I'll stop here. If you have any other questions let me know. I have 3 tour books for my reference. I am very excited, can you tell Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
It is one of only a very few mosques in the world that allow non-muslin in it.
Lori, I hate to challenge that statement but I have visited a number of mosques both large and famous and small and intimate in a number of different countries around the world and have never been refused entry. I always conduct myself respectfully, remove my shoes, DO NOT WEAR SHORTS and generally try to observe custom. Oh, and BTW, I'm Roman Catholic!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:02 PM

ChucksOK, that is good to know. I know I will enjoy the mosque. The guide book says there are very few in the world, that let non-muslins in. So, I am curious. How do they know if you are muslim or not? If you were able to go in. Or do they just not enforce that rule, because I thought muslims generally weren't allowed in mosques. My husband and I plan on doing Tunisia, and Libya, hopefully within a few more years, and I definately want to see inside the mosques there. As they say on Royal Carribean "Get out there". I am very excited to explore north africa. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-27-2006, 10:34 AM

Regarding North Africa - there are still some places there on my "to-do" list - specifically HERE. Every time I've made plans to go there, something comes up and I wind up somewhere else!

P.S. Looks like I'll be moving to Scottsdale in January! WOO HOO!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
call, casablanca, cassablanca, cruise, go, hassan, ii, inside, morocco, mosque, port, review, reviews, stay, suggestions