Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 07:34 PM

I will be cruising the following ports, Cartagena, manta, lima, arica, la serena and valparaiso in South America. Is it easy to just go on your own from the cruise port into town without booking a tour through the cruise line?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 AM

Hi golfer68, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Sorry no one has answered your question, yet. And I can't be of much help either since I haven't been on that itinerary. If you speak the language, you probably will not have much trouble going on your own. Normally, if we've not been to a port before, we do a ship's tour for a few reasons: we may not speak the language, we don't know what the crime rate is, we don't know how far different sites are, we don't know what the cab rates are, and we don't want to miss the ship. On one of my cruises we visited Caracas, Venezuela. It was about a 2 hour ride on the bus into the town from the port. I was very glad we took a ship's tour, the crime rate was very high. One of the guests was mugged and some of the other passengers foiled the attempt. Going to Caracas, we saw people living on the side of the mountains that were lucky to have cardboard to keep the torrential rains off of them. They were using paint buckets for their drinking water, catching the rain water in them. They had pits in the ground that they threw wood into for a fire. They used those for heating and cooking. Then we arrived in Caracas, with marble streets, gold around the fences, very metropolitan city with subways, rapid transit, and loads of shops. It was definitely an eye opener. If you're going to go off on your own, make sure you have done your research. You will be in foreign countries with laws different from the states. Hopefully, someone who has done this itinerary can tell you the best places to go off on your own. Best wishes and have a fantastic cruise! Once again, welcome aboard and stay safe!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 AM

Hello. We were in Lima during summer of 06, but we flew into the airport. There were many taxis from the airport, to take into town. So, I would assume there would be many taxis at the cruise terminal. Be careful in South America. My husband and I did not feel safe in Ecuador, when we were walking around the capital of Quito. In Lima we stayed in the Miraflores district. Miraflores is basically there high end tourist area, in my opinion. There best hotel is there, and more expensive tourist shops, a Hooters etc... that overlook the ocean. We only stayed there for one night, after hiking the Inca Trail, and flew home the next day. We did not go into the real Lima, only stayed in the Miraflores area. We did feel safe in that area when we walked around. I just read the other day that Columbia has one of the highest kidnapping rates in the world, so be careful. If I were you, I would take a trusted ship excursion. However, we like to watch "Locked Up Abroad", on Nat Geo channel, so I am probably more paranoid (according to my husband), (more realistic if you ask me) about these things. The Bogota, Columbia airport was no joke. We only stopped over in the airport, from Ecuador to Peru. There were soldiers with huge rifles at the security checkpoints, and made me take off my leg bag (a money belt for the leg), and I had take out all the money I had in it, to show them what was in it. Boy, did that make me feel like a robbery victim waiting to happen. So, be prepared possibly for some serious security of that port. Good luck. Welcome to cruise chat. Hope this helps, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 PM

hi my wife and i along with my sister and her husband will be cruising on the PandO ship artemis to south america on the 10th jan 09 we will be calling at a number of ports we have never visited including cartagena colon limon puntarenas sanjuandelsur huatulco zihuatensjo can anyone give me the benefit of their experience regarding these ports or similar are they safe or best in groups what are the crime rates is there pressure to buy i would appreciate any info you can give me where on the internet can i get info on these ports or countries please help me .
Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jeifi:
a number of ports we have never visited including cartagena colon limon puntarenas sanjuandelsur huatulco zihuatensjo can anyone give me the benefit of their experience regarding these ports or similar are they safe or best in groups what are the crime rates is there pressure to buy i would appreciate any info you can give me where on the internet can i get info on these ports or countries please help me .
For Cartegena & Colon I would do a ship's tour.
In Port Limon we did a private tour with "charlie Soto" had a great day also walked around the town without a problem
http://www.okeydokeytours.com/
Puntarenas we walked along the beach front that is next to the dock & looked at the vendors stalls we also walked into town to the supermarket to get coffee to bring home
cannot help with the other ports
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012

Closed Thread

Tags
america, american, cartegena, chile, cruise, cruises, ecuador, la, manta, port, ports, reviews, safe, serena, south, tours