Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 01:10 PM

I have a Rx mask that I plan to bring with... however I have tried using the rain-x anti-fog and the traditional"spit" method, without much result...neither seems to last very long (5-10 mins at best) Does anyone have a suggestion for reliable de-fogging? I believe lenses are some heavy plastic composite type - not glass...Thanks!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aj:
I have a Rx mask that I plan to bring with... however I have tried using the rain-x anti-fog and the traditional"spit" method, without much result...neither seems to last very long (5-10 mins at best) Does anyone have a suggestion for reliable de-fogging? I believe lenses are some heavy plastic composite type - not glass...Thanks!
AJ,

You need to go to your local dive shop and pick up abottle of 500PSI - it is specially formulated for SCUBA divers and really works. (Cost should not be more than @ $5-6).

Another issue...Is your mask new? Since it is a Rx mask, I am assuming that it is a fairly high quality mask. And all silicone high quality masks have to be cleaned prior to use. The best way to do this is get a plain tube of toothpaste (the old fashion variety - no gel, whiteners or such) Use a pea-sized daub of toothpaste and rub all over the lens and silicone of the mask rinse with fresh water & repeat. Apply the 500 PSI to the mask & then your RX lenses & reinsert them. You should be good to go for several dives.

(Remember to rinse off your mask, fins & snorkel after your dive - if you are on a dive boat they will usually have a hose at the dock. Salt water is corrosive when left on to dry on your dive gear).

Hope this helps!

Bob
Old 09-20-2005, 12:38 PM

It was not cleaned as you described however I have heard of the toothpaste trick to remove small scratches in some lens...did not think to clean with this first...so will do that - will pick up some 500 PSI this week then going to try mask in the pool to see how it works! Thanks much for the useful info!

Closed Thread

Tags
anti, antifog, dive, fog, goggles, mask, rain, rainx, scuba, snorkel, snorkeling, snorkling, suggestion, toothpaste, work