Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 04:32 PM

I just read the great review of the Maritime museum in Halifax. I am gathering that you would not need a guide to get there simply leave the ship and walk to it.

Any other suggestions for Halifax or St. John's. We were told not even to bother getting off the ship in St. John's.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:05 PM
In St. John's-go to see the Bay of Fundy-incoming tide is a natural wonder!!
Old 05-27-2006, 02:41 AM
st johns is just ok there is a warehouse area where there are crafters and venders worth going and looking some great deals and when you get of the ship to your left there is a mini mall that is entertaing to shop at and great wood carvings to see othe then that we saw notthing to write home about
Old 05-27-2006, 02:53 AM
Administrator

frodosmom, that is correct about the Maritime Museum -- you do not need a guide. It's about a 10 or 15 minute walk along the boardwalk. When leaving the ship, turn right.

Anyone who stays on the ship in Saint John is missing out on a lot. As billybuzzy mentioned, the tides are a must-see. You can do this through a ship tour, or take a taxi to the Reversing Falls. I recently read that there is a new harbor walk that leads there -- I will confirm this on my upcoming cruise. There is also a great farmers market in Saint John inside the City Market building, about a 10 minute walk from the pier.

Another idea is to do your own walking tour. This is what we plan to do next time. The Saint John tourism department lists four walking tours on its Web site -- click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page for links to the Loyalist Trail, Prince William's Walk, Victorian Stroll, and West Side Walk and Drive.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:28 AM

So the ship docks at a pier and we can just walk off. No need to wait for a tender or ferry boat right?

Is that the same in Halifax?

What do you think of the bay of fundy jet boat. WE did one of these in Montreal and it was a blast.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Yes, the ship docks in both ports... no tendering.

I'm not brave enough to do the jet boats, yet I heard rave reviews from other passengers. We also saw them during our stop at the Reversing Falls. They looked like a lot of fun -- only the chicken I am was content to watch from the sidelines. The Reversing Falls are amazing, especially during tidal changes. It's most definitely worth at least a visit.

Closed Thread

Tags
bay, call, cruise, excursion, excursions, falls, halifax, john, johns, ports, reversing, review, saint, st, worthy