Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Ports of Call Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/)
-   -   Question about Port of Limon,Costa Rica (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/31923-question-about-port-limon-costa-rica.html)

oreo 01-26-2008 06:53 AM

for anyone who has been there, are there any shops or supermarkets near the cruise port?

Dave 01-26-2008 07:18 AM

Have you looked at our Limon port review?

oreo 01-28-2008 12:09 PM

I am still confused!!!
One post tells you not to go
beyond the crusie ship compound
and the next tells you that you
can walk in to town. How safe is
it to walk in to town?

f-mattox 01-28-2008 12:20 PM

I don't know about you, but I would rather err on the side of safety; if someone thought enough to post that it might be dangerous, that's enough for me.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Limon where cruisers were even robbed on a shore escursion not too long ago--although one of the robbers paid with his life.

Dave 01-28-2008 12:45 PM

Different people have different levels of comfort as far as venturing out - hence the varying comments in our port review. As I recall the robbery f-mattox mentioned was a tour bus where the fool was tackled and choked to death by a retired U.S. Marine who happened to be one of the tourists.

Hank 02-01-2008 09:48 PM

That robbery story was quite a tale and that old retired Marine was a real hero. But, I believe it happened in Lima, Peru which is not the same place as Limon, Costa Rica. As to Limon, its a pretty dumpy town but we never had any safety concerns. In fact, my wife and I had no problem having a driver take us over an hour from Limon to a jungle resort called Almonds and Corals where we did some ziplining. Probably the only safety concern we had was slipping on a banana peel (they grow lots of bananas in this region).

Hank

f-mattox 02-01-2008 11:01 PM

The event Dave and I are referring to did occur in Limon, Costa Rica, on February 21, 2007; there may have been a similar event in Lima.

Dave 02-02-2008 02:23 AM

Here is the story.

lesliet 03-09-2008 12:39 PM

We were there a few years ago, it was pretty dumpy at the dock. There was a make-shift flea market with everyone wanting you to buy something and I don't remember any shops at all there at that location. I did buy several bags of the Costa Rican coffee at this flea market. It was only $2 a bag and was packaged and sealed as it would be in the U.S. Seemed safe. It was the BEST coffee. Wish I had bought more.
Went on a private tour to a banana plantation and around the area. Was good.

fllady 03-29-2008 08:51 AM

We were there last year, our third time in fact, and we ventured out of the gates and across the street into the shops, where aren't much better than the flea market they have set up. Anyway, as we were looking thru a store, a local man came over to DH and told him to take his jewelry off, because there were some "men" outisde looking him up and down and it has happened before where people were robbed. We are retirees so that wasthe last time we will venture past the gates unless on a ships tour. As stated the flea market does have great coffe and rpices. We bought some lovely hand made things also at very reasonable prices. Just take your time looking around first and then make your decision otherwise you'll have the sellers getting a little pushy.