Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2002, 07:47 AM

Hi gang,

Has anyone ever tried one of the Miami-area "shore excursions" on the day your ship returns home? The literature from RCCL for our February trip lists a few simple, relatively inexpensive tours of Miami.

Here's what I'm pondering: would taking one of these tours speed up your departure from the ship? Do they put passengers taking a tour off earlier than everyone else who's just departing normally?

I've heard a few times that leaving the ship can be kind of, well, frustrating. The tours all conclude at Miami International Airport, around noon or 1:00pm. Our flight out isn't until 3:30... hmm.

Think this would work, or be worth it? Or should we just stay in line with everyone else getting off and have a nice, comfortable wait in the airport terminal?

-Scott H
Chicago
Old 12-31-2002, 07:47 AM

Hi gang,

Has anyone ever tried one of the Miami-area "shore excursions" on the day your ship returns home? The literature from RCCL for our February trip lists a few simple, relatively inexpensive tours of Miami.

Here's what I'm pondering: would taking one of these tours speed up your departure from the ship? Do they put passengers taking a tour off earlier than everyone else who's just departing normally?

I've heard a few times that leaving the ship can be kind of, well, frustrating. The tours all conclude at Miami International Airport, around noon or 1:00pm. Our flight out isn't until 3:30... hmm.

Think this would work, or be worth it? Or should we just stay in line with everyone else getting off and have a nice, comfortable wait in the airport terminal?

-Scott H
Chicago
Old 01-01-2003, 05:23 AM

Don't be concerned about getting off the ship in either case. You'll experience delays if some on the ship might have immigration problems which delays the entire ship from disembarking. Sitting at the Miami Airport until a 3 PM flight? I personally wouldn't do it. We had to sit in Miami for about 3 hours in April, as the cruise line flew us in so early, way to early to board the ship. Not a pretty sight. Take a tour and forget about everything. A lot depends on what time the ship gets in, as to when a Miami tour would leave. Believe me when I say there's nothing to worry about. We've been 1st, in the middle, and almost last off the ship. All have their pros and cons, but regardless, the ship will be "emptied out" in 2 hours or less.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:08 AM

Our ship is scheduled to arrive back in Miami at 8:30am. Royal Caribbean has a tour called "South Beach & Island Queen Cruise" (4 hrs, $38) that leaves at 9:00.

quote:

Depart from the Port of Miami aboard an air-conditioned coach heading to the world-famous South Beach Art Deco District. After a tour of this colorful area, your destination is Bayside Marketplace, where you will board the 92-foot Island Queen for a 1 hour cruise. See the homes of the rich and famous - Gloria Estefan, the legendary Al Capone, and the honeymoon cottage of Elizabeth Taylor and Eddie Fisher - as you cruise the calm waters of Biscayne Bay and pass Star, Palm and Hibiscus Islands. Enjoy splendid views of downtown Miami before concluding your tour at Miami International Airport.

So, if everything adds up, we should get back to Miami Int'l at about 12:30 or 1:00, plenty of time to make our 3:30 flight.

Ya know, I'm thinking I'd like to see Miami - if for no other reason than to see how much it looks like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City!

-Scott H
Chicago

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, cruise, excursion, excursions, fl, miami, port, post, postcruise, review, reviews, ship, shore, tour, tours