Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2002, 01:47 PM

I was wondering if any cruise-chat members have experience with the following ports:

Walvis Bay, Namibia
St. Helena Island
Montevideo, Uruguay

I'm headed to these places on the Marco Polo Grand Africa/South America cruise in a few weeks and can't find much information online about excursions and local attractions. Thanks for your help!

Marco Polo, GRAND AFRICA & SOUTH AMERICA
Old 11-04-2002, 01:47 PM

I was wondering if any cruise-chat members have experience with the following ports:

Walvis Bay, Namibia
St. Helena Island
Montevideo, Uruguay

I'm headed to these places on the Marco Polo Grand Africa/South America cruise in a few weeks and can't find much information online about excursions and local attractions. Thanks for your help!

Crystal Harmony, Alaskan Vistas
Old 11-05-2002, 06:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tr cruiser:

Walvis Bay, Namibia
St. Helena Island
Montevideo, Uruguay

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0700f

Old 11-05-2002, 06:37 AM

Going on Cape Horn cruise from Santiago around to Buenos Aires in March with stop there. Also having LOTS of trouble finding info re any excursions in port. Please let me know if you get any answers. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2002, 12:54 PM

I did find one interesting writeup on the city by a Washington Post correspondent - http://cluburuguay.org/boletin/The%2...Montevideo.htm

He recommends a city tour for the architecture, the dance clubs for night life (tanguerias), the beef restaurants for dining (parillas), the markets, teahouses and beaches.

Old 11-12-2002, 06:15 PM

I got my cruise docs, including an exhaustive 70-page shore excursion book featuring all of Orient's South American and African tours. It looks like they have all ports well covered. There are three Montevideo tours. The basic city tour includes Independence Square, the Congress building, Montevideo Hill [the city name means "I see a hill"], parque Jose Batlle Y Ordonez [stadium and covered wagon sculpture], Constitution Square, town hall, Solis Theater [19th century opera house] and Carrasco area [hi-rent district] - all for $29. I may opt for the "Estancia Experience" package which include the City Tour and a visit to a working ranch (including barbecue). Doesn't look like there's a shortage of things to see and places to go...

Closed Thread

Tags
america, american, bay, chatting, excursions, marco, memberscom, montevideo, namibia, polo, south, uruguay, walvis