Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2002, 12:41 PM

I was wondering whether the arrival time in a cruise brochure is the time the boat docks in port or when passengers can expect to depart the boat? If its when the boat docks, how long should I expect to wait to get ashore? Im thinking of using Carnival, so it will be a large boat and the ports are St Thomas and Bridgetown Barbados. My question results from booking my own shore excursions, so I need to know when I will actually be off the boat and in port. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:41 PM

I was wondering whether the arrival time in a cruise brochure is the time the boat docks in port or when passengers can expect to depart the boat? If its when the boat docks, how long should I expect to wait to get ashore? Im thinking of using Carnival, so it will be a large boat and the ports are St Thomas and Bridgetown Barbados. My question results from booking my own shore excursions, so I need to know when I will actually be off the boat and in port. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:41 PM

The time listed in the brochure is the time the ship is scheduled to dock. Generally, passengers can leave the ship about 1/2 to one hour later, but much depends on the port. In U.S. ports and possessions, a special onboard ID check is held of all passengers prior to allowing anyone off - this occurs when the previous port stop was in a foreign country (for example, a San Juan port call following a Nassau port call, etc.) so you should allow at least an hour extra before debarking in those cases. Also remember, the time listed isn't written in stone - weather, sea conditions and other factors can influence when, and if, the ship docks in any given port.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:44 PM

Correction to previous post: I understated the amount of time you have between docking and debarkation in most cases - I'd figure on an hour or more. And in some cases when you have to tender to shore, it may take quite a while, as those with early shore excursions booked thru the cruise line will probably get assigned to the earliest tenders.
Karen

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, excursions, leave, passengers, shore, time