Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 AM

Hello Fellow Crusiers. I plan to take the "Around the Horn" cruise on RC Radiance
of the Seas starting 3/29/08. Is it possible to stop in Lima on the way to Santiago and see Machu Pinchu? How many days would I need for this? Any recommendations on tour guides and/or how to get to Machu Pinchu? Also the cruise ends in Buenos Aries. How easy is it to get to Iguassu Falls? Is it a plane or train ride? Any recommendations on tour operators? Please let me know what you know. Your help would be so much appreciated!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Hi Karen. We hiked the 4 day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (MP), 2 summers ago. So I might be able to answer some of your questions. Are you wanting to fly into Lima a few days early enough to take a tour to MP? Are you wanting to hike the trail, or take the train up? Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-02-2008, 02:25 PM

Hi Lori,
Thanks so much for the reply. I'd love to hike the Inca Trail but I'll be with my teenagers who are on Spring Break so my time is a little ltd. What would be the fastest way to get to Machu Pinchu from Lima? How far is it on a train or bus (is that too scary in that part of the world?). Do you know of any guides or operators that could facilitate the trip to MP. I heard you could fly to Cuzco from Lima. That would be an extra expense though.(there is 4 of us). Please give me your thoughts. It would be great to see MP since we're down in So America. (It's always been a dream of mine) Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:13 PM

The fastest way to see MP would be to fly from Lima to Cuzco. There are flights on Lan airlines and Star Peru. Then you take a train from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes. From AC you take about a 20 min bus ride to MP. AC is a VERY tiny town, not much there for tourist. Just some restaurants, and I think a hostel. I don't even know if there is a hotel. It is basically the on/off point from the train to the bus. Let me see if I can find out how long the train from Cuzco to AC is. I'll work on that. I don't know if you have to sign up for a tour from AC to MP, or if you can just hop on the bus independently. I would definately suggest taking a tour of MP. It is huge, and you'd basically have no idea what you are looking at. Lil' Lori

Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM

I got it. It is about a 4 hour train ride from Cuzco to Aguas Calientes. I read one persons review, they said they left about 6am to get the train from Cuzco to AC, then took the 20min bus to MP. They then toured MP, and caught the train back from AC to Cuzco at 1 pm. So, if you were really strapped for time, you could fly from Lima to Cuzco and spend the night in Cuzco (1 night), get up take the early train to MP, see MP and take the train back to Cuzco that day, stay in again in Cuzco, (2 nights), fly back from Cuzco to Lima next day on day 3. Then fly from Lima to your cruise. I don't know what tour operators to take for that itinerary. You probably could find a tour on the internet. We took a company called Gap Adventures, they were recommended from National Geoghraphic Travel magazine. We booked a tour with them for the Galapagos Islands and MP. We first sailed around the Islands for 7 nights, in a tiny boat, then flew to Peru and hiked the Inca Trail for 4 days. Gap Adventures has a awesome website. Check it out, maybe you could do a tour with them to hike the Inca Trail, since you'd love to do that. But then again, since you'll be down there in SA, it'd be easier just to see MP before your cruise. Lil' Lori

Closed Thread

Tags
aires, buenos, bus, cruise, cusco, cuzco, desde, flight, lima, ride, tour, tours, train, travel, valparaiso