Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 07:34 PM

We will have one full day prior to our Alaska cruise departure for an excursion in either Vancouver or Victoria. We will also have the a few hours in the morning on the day of the departure.
Any suggestions as to what excursions we should book for either city? We would like to do something in both cities if feasible.
Is Butchart Gardens worth spending whole day on an excursion? What about the castle/picnic excursion...an opinions? Or should we just take a trolley tour of Victoria?
We were thinking of doing Victoria on the full day and perhaps the trolley tour of Vancouver in the morning prior to heading to the ship. Would that work out?
HELP! First time cruisers/ First time to Canada. THANKS
Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 PM

The trolley tour in Vancouver is definitely the way to go. We live here and we do this when visitors come to town . You can ride all day, get on and off where you want, stay as long as you want in one place and there is a narration as you go along. The trolley come by about every 20 minutes and it stops in all the places you'll want to see.

have fun in our beautiful city !
Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
If you go to Victoria you must see Butchart Gardens--it's a fairytale land that must be seen to be believed; however it does not require a whole day; you can still do the trolley tour, and you must also visit the Empress Hotel and grounds.
In Vancouver you could take the tour but be sure you visit Stanley Park and gas town.
Have a wonderful trip.

I will just embellish makingwaves post a little to say Vancouver, B.C. is one of the most beautiful cities anyplace.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the input. The trolley tour of Vancouver seemed to be what we were looking for. We could explore at our own pace and not have to worry about a car rental.

Our TA suggested B.Gardens. I didn't know if that was something my husband would be interested in doing. Although we did hear it was spectacular.

Our pre-nights in Vancouver were booked by Princess at the Westin Bayshore. Is that within walking distance of any of the acitivites that you both mentioned? I would assume that if we book our excursions with Princess, they will provide transportation to Victoria for us.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 PM
I don't know where the Westin is--it's been some time since I was there; but Vancouver is much like San Francisco--very easy to get around, on foot or public transit.
If you booked with Princess they will take care of everything.
I'm a guy who is not too interested in things botanical--but I thought Butchart Gardens was just jaw-dropping beautiful. Your husband will love it.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Banned

Here, here, on the Butchart Gardens suggestion
Old 03-16-2007, 01:00 PM

Spoke to TA again today. She also highly recommended B.Gardens. So, from what I am gathering here, is that we can do the Gardens, the Trolley tour, Stanley Park, Gas town, etc. all in one day. Am I right or wrong on that assumption?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:31 PM

How are you getting from Victoria to Vancouver?

It's minimum 3.5 hours by bus/car and ferry.
That's assuming you get on the ferry you want to and traffic is not too bad.
February 2004 - Grand Princess - W. Caribbean
March 2007 - RCI Voyager of the Seas - E. Caribbean
May 2007 - RCI Voyager of the Seas - Western Mediterranean (Mrs. E. & daughter only - I had a medical emergency)
October 2007 - RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 PM

We are flying into Vancouver from New Orleans. Princess has us booked for 2 nights in Vancouver.
It is a 3 1/2 hr. trip from Vancouver to Victoria??? Wow...I did not know that. So then, we should probably do whatever sightseeing we have planned for Victoria on our full day before the cruise. Then, maybe on the morning of departure, we could do the trolley in Vancouver...depending on what time Princess will pick us up to get to the dock.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Vancouver is on the BC Lower Mainland while Victoria is on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. You would either take the ferry or fly. It is a very short hop by turbo prop - the flight path is more of a parabolic arc!

Closed Thread

Tags
butchart, canada, cruise, excursion, excursions, forum, gardens, princess, reviews, rhapsody, seas, victoria