Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Lisa,
If we leave the ship at 9 am and walk to Boston Marine Ind. Park we can get on the Silverline bus ??? The map said "subway" do we just pay cash to the bus driver? Do we pay cash every time we switch bus color/lines? I'm trying to figure out a time frame. Are these buses running every so many minutes at each stop? What time would we arrive at the swans?
After the swans approx. what time would we arrive at the Gov Center? This is where we would walk the freedom trail- The Visitor's Center is at that Boston Common (What is the Boston Common?). Do you recommend us just walking the Freedom Trail ourselves(approx 2.5 miles... I believe you can rent a tape player of some sort??, or pay $12 for a guided tour? I believe it ends at Quincy Market- which I'm not sure what that is, and if that is near/or the same thing as Faneuil Hall. Allowing also time to shop at Faneuil Hall. Approx how much would it be for a cab to return and time wise. We would like to be back on the ship by 4pm.
Again, I can't thank you enough for your input!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Lisa- looking for some feedback? Are you out there or cruising somewhere???
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Sorry for the delay, Shari. I haven't been around...but not because of a cruise.

I'll have to look into your question on the Silver Line. Fare structure changed recently, along with method of payment -- some lines take cash, others take tickets, and as we haven't had any ship visits yet, I haven't been to the terminal. I'll let you know when I return from my upcoming biz trip, in about 2 weeks.

Boston Common is a large park in downtown Boston, and is located between the park where the swan boats are located (the Public Garden) and Government Center. I'd suggest visiting the Swan Boats first (I'll have to check on timing), then walking to the Common to get the Freedom Trail map (or you can also find one online). Forget about the $12 guided tour -- this is easily done on your own.

Quincy Market is adjacent to Faneuil Hall -- and is now pretty much an shopping mall in historic buildings with stores that will be familiar to you. Faneuil Hall is far more interesting (see my post above). Quincy Market is good for a quick lunch, though. I'd leave at least an hour to get back to the ship due to traffic and to have a cushion in case you don't find a taxi right away.

I can't help to comment on Quebec City as that is a very favorite location. The last time we were there, we walked along the inside of the wall of the Old City. It was a wonderful walk, and I highly recommend it.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Thank you so much for your insight!! I love to cram in as much as possible at ports and unless you are well-detailed organized it doesn't happen.
Earlier you said something about there being a street car to take you to South Station. Is this in place of the SilverLine?
Any idea on how much a taxi will cost from Faneuil Hall to the pier? Will there be taxi's outside or should we have a phone number to call for one?
Thanks again for alllllll of your help.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

shari, sorry for the confusion about the Silver Line... some refer to it as a streetcar, others a subway or bus. Taxi from Faneuil Hall to the pier should be about $15, and there will be plenty of taxis in the area.

I still need to look into Silver Line fares for you.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm sorry- I've never rode on a bus before where you pay to ride. This is very foreign to me. Do you pay every time you get off one bus to transfer to the next? Do you have to pay exact cash?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Exact payment is required, but I'll have to look into how this is paid as the system recently made some changes in this regard. Transfers should be at no cost, but I'll look into this as well.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Lisa- there are 4 of us so were trying to see if a taxi isn't the cheapest way anyway. Also, I believe the swanboats aren't open in Oct. when we're there. I guess we'll go straight to the Boston Common Visitor Center and walk the Freedom Trail to Faneuil Hall and shop. I have a question about Acadia National PArk also--you've been there right?
Here's my email- deepsea29c@yahoo.com
Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 PM

My husband & I visited Boston in Oct. '06. We walked the Freedom Trail. This is very easy to do, and you can do it at your own pace.

I think I answered another post about New England with this same information, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record.

On the Freedom Trail you will see Paul Revere's house (must buy ticket to go in), the Old North Church, and several cemeteries where Paul Revere, Samuel Adams & other notables of American history are buried. Also you'll see monuments. It goes right through downtown, so there's plenty of opportunities to browse in a store or stop for coffee.

I highly recommend this, and even more so for those who love history.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:37 AM

Welcome any and all cruise travelers to the New England region!
Don't forget that the North End is also known for the Italian heritage and great food. If anyone is in Beantown on a Saturday, don't miss walking through the market place near Faneuil Hall. It is neat to see the various venders selling fruits, vegetables, fish and various meat markets. People watching in and around this area is so much fun; it is a melting pot of many cultures and nationalities. Be prepared for a very crowded area at this time of year. Oh yes, for seafood lovers after working up an appetite walking the area, don't miss out on another piece of culinary history; eat at the Union Oyster House near Quincy Market. This is reported as the longest continuously operated restaurant in the United States and has been frequented my many notables such as favorite place of John F. Kennedy to brunch on Sunday's while reading his paper. If you eat raw oysters, check out the raw bar and some of thr original furnishings here. Oh Yes, don't forget to get your fill of the famous Maine Lobstah!! Enjoy.

Peter1

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
boston, ca, call, canada, cornerbrook, cruise, cruises, do, england, forum, port, ports, quebec, review, reviews, sydney