Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Great posts, Peter and Rita.

The market to which Peter refers is known as Haymarket. Any local in the vicinity of Faneuil Hall will be able to direct you toward it. It is open on Fridays and Saturdays. I will occasionally stop by on my way home from work on Fridays to pick up a few apples and other items. Of course, you won't be able to bring these back aboard ship, but it's a great place to visit, as Peter noted.

Shari, please forgive me as I have not had a chance to go down to the pier yet via Silver Line. Work has been hectic. I may try to get there this weekend, depending upon the weather.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Lisa- don't go there just on my account, really. We'll find our way...and come back and tell you all about our wonderful trip.
P.S. We found out yesterday our first grandchild is a BOY (due November 8th)
Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Hi! I will leave my favorite for the last. You can do the Freedom Trail in Boston as others have recommended. I was a bit disappointed in it when we went because several sites were closed and it was raining. Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor is great! Also, you can take whale watching tours which are UNBELIEVABLE! My favorite port that I did alot of planning for was Halifax. Halifax is 800 miles from where the Titanic went down and is the spot from where recovery took place from. The city has some of the best artifacts recovered in the Titanic Museum. A section of the grand staircase is there and an intact White Star Line deck chair. Letters have been preserved from the "mayday" that the ship was going down. These are just a few things to see in the museum! You can take a walking tour of the city and see other sites such as where the bodies were taken (gross, sorry) as well as the old White Star office. A taxi ride is worth it to the cemetary (I will respond again with the name) where many of the passengers are including the 2 year old unknown child (quite emotional as it is decorated with stuffed animals, etc. that tourists leave), crew, and the infamous "J. Dawson". It is not Jack Dawson like the movie however; there really was a J. Dawson on board! The number of graves present is shocking and it really makes the Titanic story a reality when you see this. The graves are aligned in the shape of the bow of a ship. I really would recommend the entire day be devoted to seeing the Titanci exhibits...this is the closest that you will ever get to it. I will get my file out and send you more specific details. Until then....Kelkel
Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

kelkel, Halifax is among my favorites, as well.

There are actually three cemeteries in which Titanic victims are buried -- the one kelkel described is the largest, and is named Fairview Cemetery. The others are Mt. Olivet (~20 graves) and Baron de Hirsch (~10 graves). Fairview has ~120, and is an incredible experience.

I am somewhat of a Titanic buff (putting it mildly), so forgive me if I ramble. The J. Dawson buried at Fairview Cemetery was a crew member -- a stoker, I believe. No relation whatsoever to the fictional character in the 1997 film. I took a formal ship's tour on one of our trips to Halifax, and it was fabulous -- high marks for accuracy, and I even learned a few things. I would recommend it. The museum to which kelkel refers is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and does indeed have wonderful exhibits. Should anyone go, I suggest having a look at the rest of the museum, as well -- particularly the exhibit on the Halifax Explosion.

cousins -- I haven't forgotten about your bus question. Would you believe I haven't made it down to the pier yet?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi Lisa! We're getting closer to our selling date!!! Which only means were real close to the "pay for the cruise" date! OUCH.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Shari, I am so excited for you. I still haven't made it down to the pier, but a promise is a promise, and I'll get back to you once I do!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Ara,

I have edited your message to delete the e-mail address for the private tour guide. Please note that our forum rules forbid advertising or soliciting. Thanks for understanding.

Closed Thread

Tags
boston, ca, call, canada, cornerbrook, cruise, cruises, do, england, forum, port, ports, quebec, review, reviews, sydney