Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 AM

We are cruising to Canada & New England out of NYC Oct 4 on NCL Dawn. Will visit Boston, Bar Harbor, Quebec City, Sydney & Cornerbrook Newfoundland and Halifax Nova Scotia. Anyone with any ideas as what not to miss? Would appreciate any info that can be shared.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I loved to go to Quincy Market in Boston.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Mayo, there is so much to do in each port -- are you interested in history, architecture, general sightseeing, nature, etc.? That could help narrow things down.

I wrote this review several years ago, yet much is still current. I didn't include Cornerbrook as it is not a frequent stop, but am happy to answer any questions (based on my one time there).
Old 04-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Lisa- enjoyed your newsletter! I'm just getting tons of good info on sightseeing! I have another question on our past topic of Acadia National Park- The free bus "The Island Explorer" does not go up to Cadillac Mountain. They recommend 2 other tour groups that off that but they are $25+ pp to go on their 2 1/2 hr tours. Should we just do the free bus to Sand Beach, Thunderhole, Otter Cliffs, Sir De Mont's Spring, Jordon Pond????
Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Mayo- We are going RCI on Sept 28-Oct 7 to many of the same places. I've been researching our stops that are the same as yours. In Boston we are going to do the Freedom Trail Walk (thefreedomtrail.org) and the Swanboats (www.swanboats.com) and visiting the marketplace (www.FaneuilHallMarketplace.com) You can call 888-SEE-BOSTON they'll mail you all sorts of things.
In Bar Harbor (207-288-9432) we're going to Acadia National Park (www.exploreacadia.com) via free Island Explorer Buses 207-288-5103 (park entrance $5 pp)may try to catch lunch at the Jordon Pond Rest (www.jordonpond.com)
Halifax 800-565-0000-Walking from the Pier 21 to the Halifax Public Garden Park then walking to St. Mary's Basilica and Old Burial Grounds then on to the Citadel ($7.25) allow 2 hours, A walk past the Old Clock Tower, St. Paul's Church 902-429-2240, and then to Maritime Museum of the Atlantic ($8) 902-424-6446

We haven't been yet but we are anxious to go!
Lisa has been a great help to us.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Thank you, cousins, for your kind words. I only wish the photos were still in the article -- they were hosted on a different site that is no longer active.

A couple of updates on Boston. Road construction is, for the most part, complete. And, there is now streetcar service from the pier to South Station if you don't want to walk. Check .http://www.mbta.com/

Another suggestion for Boston is to visit Faneuil Hall itself, not just the adjacent Quincy Market (which is not that special, IMO, now that lots of chain stores have moved in). But Faneuil Hall is beautifully restored as a meeting house, and the interior is beautiful. A National Park guide will be there to give the history and other facts.

As to your questions about Acadia NP, that's a tough call. What else, besides Cadillac Mountain, do the other tours offer?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 AM
National Park Tours and Oli's Trolley offer a tour to Cadillac Mountain and it has like 3 other stops for 15 min each I believe. I'd have to pull up their websites again to see what they are exactly. So now we have a choice to make. What do you suggest $29 and a stop on the Cad Mount or free and skip the mountian??
Old 04-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Lisa:
I went on the transportation line...they list bus and rail. How do I find out about the streetcar? Also, I couldn't put in info because I don't know an address for the "Pier" and "South Station". Not even sure why the stop is at South Station. Is South Station at Faneuil Hall? Do we need to catch a bus/street car to get to the park where the swans are? (My husband's gonna love the swan boats---not, but too bad)we're tourist!
The Acadia Tours are all within walking distance from the ship.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Hi Shari. Sorry about posting and running earlier...

Here's some information on public transit within Boston. First, a MAP.

The pier is on the Silver Line, on the right side of the map -- closest stop is Boston Marine and Industrial Park. Take that to South Station, and transfer to the Red Line -- inbound. Two stops later is Park Street, where you can either transfer to the Green Line (bound for Arlington station) or, preferably, leave the station and walk through the Boston Common (huge park), which then leads into the Public Garden, where the Swan Boats are.

By the way, I used to work near the Public Garden and loved riding the Swan Boats during lunch!

Faneuil Hall is at the Government Center stop on the Green Line. If you do the Swan Boats first, go to Arlington Station (close to the Public Garden), and ride three stops inbound to Government Center.

Also, the Boston Common and Faneuil Hall are both on the Freedom Trail, so you could also follow the red painted line (or red brick) path on the sidewalk to go between the two. It's about a 15-minute walk, and you do pass some interesting sites.

From there, Faneuil Hall, you can either take a taxi back to the ship (fastest), use the ship's shuttle bus (for a fee, if it's offered), or take the public transit (Government Center green line -> Park Street, change for red line outbound -> change for Silver Line route SL2. It's a lot less confusing than it sounds.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Quebec City is very nice - a mixture of old and new. I was there 11 years ago for my 4th year geology field trip.

the "Old City" is built within a wall and has 2 levels at the bottom of a hill and at the top, there is a tram way that
will take you between the 2 levels. A lot of the architecture dates back to the original French Colony- there are a lot of restaurants and boutiques within the old city.

One sight to see is the citadelle - it is a fortress that was buit by the British in the 1830's and overlooks the Plains of Abraham - which is where the battle was fought and lost and handed Canada to the British. The big difference between the Citadelle in Qubec with other sites like fort Henery in Kingston or Louisberg in Nova Scotia - it still is an active military base with a regular force infantry batallion stationed there. They do offer guided tours:

http://www.lacitadelle.qc.ca/section.php?lang=en&id=4

Closed Thread

Tags
boston, ca, call, canada, cornerbrook, cruise, cruises, do, england, forum, port, ports, quebec, review, reviews, sydney