Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 10:33 AM

hi, taking my aunt and mom on the panama canal cruise aboard the summit in dec. We would like to view the underwater reef in Grand Caymen and are looking at the glass bottom boats, the nautilius or the underwater observatory. Mom and aunt are in their 70's, not physically active and climbing stairs like on the submarine are not an option. Does anybody know about this other options?
We are also looking a whale watching in Cabos. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned

hi h2olover. welcome. Our family snorkeled in G. Cayman. I cannot vouch for the nautilius or underwater observatory. I would think that is fine for your mom and aunt. Excursions on the ship's website are rated according to what level of activity is required to participate. As for Cabo, the whales are there and I've seen them. They were everywhere in the Pacific. Make sure to bring your binoculars. You can even spot their blow holes from the cruise ship's deck. I would strongly recommend a whale watching trip. It is just unbelievable to see them, especially when they breech. Have a great cruise.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:02 PM

We have done the submarine. It is incomparible. The gangway down is a ladder (you go down backward) but it is just a few steps, it is surprisingly wide with widersteps (I am sure you can picture those combo ladder/steps). Unless your family is really infirm you can do this--there is crew to help them as well as yourself. I recommended this excursion to my parents (who are in their 80s). The interior is surprisingly roomy and comfortable, the seats and "molded" in front of the portholes, so no one can crowd you out of your spot, and the climate is controlled so it was not stuffy or particularly claustophobic. Check the rating in the shore tours brochure or website, and remember they try to err on the conservative side for safety.
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks all. I am looking forward to this cruise and hope the excursions are as exciting as they sound!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 PM

Ahhh A'ndrea you dissappoint me...an excursion you HAVEN'T done. How in the world can I include that in my...I mean our...travel guide!

Didn't think I was keeping track...did ya!

RCCL Viking Serenade - May 10, 1992
Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 PM

eeeeewwww eeeewwwww LOOKIE....my little forum name changed to "SERIOUS CRUISER"!

Is that all part of the 12-step program...

Hi, my name's Michele...and I'm addicted to Cruise.chat....

Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

Hi Michelle. Nothing gets by you ! Hi, I'm with Michelle and we're both addicts. Please help us. Seriously, we I haven't done most excursions unless they involve the ocean. We are definitely a family of snorkelers. We just don't get into tours of the city we're docked in and such. Sadly, I'm sure we're missing out on a lot. But, when when our ship is in port... get me to the water immediately. At home, we have an inground pool and I live in that thing from May to September. Just love water I guess.
A'ndrea
Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 AM

Andrea, I too love the water. As a amatuer underwater photographer, I have been fortunate to travel (mostly in the Pacific) photographing the beauty of the world beneath the sea. The south pacific is incredible!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Banned

h2olover, okay... now I'm officially jealous. I have always wanted to become certified in diving and then oops, I became pregnant. It is one of my biggest regrets. On our honeymoon we went to Cozumel for the first time. We stayed at the El Presidente Hotel. The snorkeling was supreme at our hotel. My husband and I came face to face with a barracuda in a reef area. We were in about 12 feet deep water and out about 70 feet from shore. Unfortunately, we didn't have an underwater camera with us 20 years ago. But, my gosh, seeing that has been the highlight of our snorkeling over the years. A'ndrea
Old 04-11-2007, 07:25 PM

The cruise to Grand Cayman has always been my #1 that I want to take. The water just sounds too unbelievable. No one in my family has done any snorkeling or scuba so I hope to learn before we can take this trip. Luckily my 12 yr. old is game for just about anything mom wants to do. DH will just have to drink his beer and watch! I am hoping to shoot for 2009 to get to Grand Cayman. Unless a miracle suddenly happens and airfare drops to next to nothing! Don't see that happening.

Closed Thread