Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Halifax is easy to get around, lots of attractions in walking distance. If you are interested in the Maritime Museum follow the boardwalk along the shore to your right. Among other things, it has a good display about the Titanic since a lot of the rescue efforts were centered there.
Another nearby attraction is the Alexander Keith's brewery. There are tours offered there, includes samples!

Bar Harbour is small but lovely. The Acadia tours had finished before we arrived inlate October, so we just wandered around the town. There was a nice walking trail along the shore, lots of touristy shops in town to explore, and lots of end of season bargains.

Need some cruise help?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Bar HArbor: A 2.5 hr tour is plenty to me...after a while it all started looking the same. The "town" is nice to walk the shops and they have a nice hillside overlooking the water there. I believe you tender here. Personally I wouldn't book any other excursions...but do the 2.5 tour you found. Enjoy the fall!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Thank you Jill and Shari. You gave me enough information about Bar Harbor and Halifax to plan now. I certainly hope we can see a good display of autumn leaves at the AcaiaNational Park on 10/12!

In Halifax, I think we will just take it easy and walk around the city. I saw somewhere talked about Fisherman's Cove near Halifax. It said it is a beautiful place but, from the pictures, it didn't seem to be too impressive. If you think otherwise, I'd be glad to hear your opinion.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM

HappyColor: I'd take the 2.5 hour tour. I think you will find it adequate. It actually has the advantage over the free service of your not having to waste time waiting for the next bus. The loop trail isn't that long and it does cover what you want to see. That will give you time to look around Bar Harbor which is touristy but very pleasant. We were in Acadia on October 10 about 4 years ago and the foliage was at its peak. Surprisingly few tourists around.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Thank you BritChris. I hope we will be as lucky as you were re: the foliage.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Yes, thank you! And, I'm from New England. You've given me some more ideas for when we make our next visit.

I hope you get to see some great foliage also. It may be earlier this year than usual. I've already seen a few leaves changing color...VERY few, but we'll see what the rest of the season brings. Even if the foliage is not at its most vibrant when you go, both Bar Harbor and Halifax are amazing places to visit.

Tags
acadia, bar, bus, cost, cruise, excursions, halifax, harbor, hop, national, park, ship, shore, tours, travel