Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2003, 07:41 PM

My wife and I will be cruising with RSSC Mariner from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires in mid Nov. We're trying to get a better idea of what to expect weather-wise, specifically with regard to the roughest seas we should expect to encounter, and for how long. Is the cruise relatively smooth until you leave Ushuaia? When or where do the seas calm down again? Is it "knock the plates off the table" rough? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any insight provided.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:41 PM

My wife and I will be cruising with RSSC Mariner from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires in mid Nov. We're trying to get a better idea of what to expect weather-wise, specifically with regard to the roughest seas we should expect to encounter, and for how long. Is the cruise relatively smooth until you leave Ushuaia? When or where do the seas calm down again? Is it "knock the plates off the table" rough? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any insight provided.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:14 PM

We're doing the Mariner next week to Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, can't wait. My husband went around "the horn" 3-4 times when he was in the Navy 40+ years ago. He's trying to prepare me for the worst, as we're going Feb.1st on Celebrity Infinity. Not sure it a smaller or larger ship would weather this better. I'd me interested from hearing from you when you get back. We're going with 2 other couples, and 1 woman is already prepared to wear wrist bands, the patch, and take medication if necessary. We hit a tremendous storm in the Gulf of Alaska 2 years ago that lasted 21 hours. My husband said this should be similar, but not for as long. Sue
Old 09-06-2003, 04:17 PM

hope you have a wonderful cruise. with regard to seasickness, using the battery powered ReleifBand has worked wonders for me.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:51 PM

I went around the horn in February. While the weather can be foul (we had 70 mph winds on the approach and they locked the ship down so that no one could go on an open deck) there is not enough fetch for the seas to become very rough. However, the currents around the horn are incredible and pose the main navigational threat. You stand a better chance to experience rough seas sailing north or south along the coast if there is a ground swell being generated from the Antarctic. You will have a great cruise! Be sure to write a review when you return.

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
17, 2002, 2003, cape, capr, cruise, cruises, cruising, february, horn, november, review, reviews, rough, roughest, seas, weather