Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Recommendations- rent a car and drive the beautiful country? Scenic Bellle Vue, Sky World, Sage Mountain National Park and Mountain View Restaurant, Cane Garden Bay?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 PM

We didn't rent a car. We've been there twice and both times did a catamaran sail/snorkel through the ship. Both snorkels have been over by Norman's Island and they were great snorkels. The first time we were there, after the snorkel we had a cab driver take us around the island. He charged us $20 and it was well worth it. He took us to a restaurant that overlooked where the Caribbean and Atlantic meet-absolutely breathtaking. Then he took us to a beach on the northeast side of the island. He took us by Cane Bay, too. I really enjoyed the beach area. Locals were selling beer out of their coolers for $1/ea. You can also go across to Virgin Gorda and do the Baths. We may do that excursion this next cruise.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:11 PM
We took the jitney tour right at the port it was $20. pp with a good tour of the island spots.
Took about 2-3 hrs
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
We took the jitney tour right at the port it was $20.
Did you stop at the "famous" Sunny Caribbee Spice Shop?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Did you stop at the "famous" Sunny Caribbee Spice Shop?
No we did not go there but you could walk into town from the docks.
We walked to the grocery store for water/pop and to the British store
The tour took you up to the lookout where the cruise ship tours go
Some shots from the lookout point
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/231...01934561BpJfDb
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM
LHT28---loved the pictures....were the first ones from Tortola? Are the jitneys just their waiting as you pull into port? Where was that Red-roofed building you went to that overlooked the water? Where was the waterfall and what was that deep "water-hole" thing????
Old 09-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cousins:
LHT28---loved the pictures....were the first ones from Tortola? Are the jitneys just their waiting as you pull into port? Where was that Red-roofed building you went to that overlooked the water? Where was the waterfall and what was that deep "water-hole" thing????
Thanks
Ok let me see
This is at the port of Tortola beginning of the tour
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/217...01934561ZsfiNN
the jitney tours were right there.

The waterfall was in Dominica and the hole with water & steam is the the steam vent or hot springs ...one of the guides before we got there had fried an egg on a rock it was so hot.

Guess I need to go & put descriptions on my photos

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 09-23-2008, 03:36 PM
LTH28 thanks...our ship gets into this port at noon and leaves at 9pm...not sure that I would want to be on shore till 8pm...I did hear that they had a neat cemetery on the Dutch side, did your jitney take you there? we were thinking of renting a car for the day.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cousins:
.not sure that I would want to be on shore till 8pm...I did hear that they had a neat cemetery on the Dutch side, did your jitney take you there? we were thinking of renting a car for the day.
I do not believe we saw any cemeteries on the tour.

Did not know they had a Dutch side

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 09-23-2008, 04:18 PM
On your slide show the 2nd and 3rd picture was of a cemetery...I'm confused.

Closed Thread

Tags
bvi, car, carnival, cemetery, cruise, grocery, port, renting, road, roadtown, stores, tortola, tortolasky, town, world