Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Ports of Call Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/)
-   -   Danang or Hue? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/36357-danang-hue.html)

emjayef 01-10-2011 04:17 PM

Danang or Hue?

We port in Danang for the day. There are shore excursions to both Danang and to Hue, We
can't do both. Any recommendations?

Dave 01-10-2011 04:33 PM

Honestly I don't know anyone in this forum who has taken a cruise to Vietnam.

Cruise Fanatic 01-10-2011 05:40 PM

I did a cruise to Vietnam in 2001. Danang was one of our stops. I'm not familiar with Hue. We did a tour that involved seeing the sights and a stop for a drink and time at China Beach.
If your itinerary involves Ho Chi Minh City, I would recommend the Chu Chi Tunnels.

Jim C. 01-11-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 284510)

Really Dave? I would have thought being a Navy guy that you would have known of a bunch of guys that took a cruise to Vietnam.. I suppose that was before your Navy days :D

Dave 01-11-2011 12:09 PM

The closest I got to Vietnam was the Philippines in the Marine days, although when I got transferred to Philadelphia I befriended some Vietnamese refugees. "Ma" spoke no English but was a great cook. She had owned a bar and restaurant in Saigon. Man, that was usually some pretty spicy food! Pho - love it.

Jim C. 01-11-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 284510)

Sorry to insult you like that Dave... not sure why I said Navy... I knew you were a Marine... my bad.

Dave 01-11-2011 03:27 PM

I was both! Marines first, then I joined the Navy. So you were remembering correctly.

Cruise Fanatic 01-11-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 284535)
I was both! Marines first, then I joined the Navy. So you were remembering correctly.

Which gets tricky since the United States Department of the Navy comprises the United States Navy and the United States Marines.

Jim C. 01-12-2011 01:34 PM

Well I knew that CF but not every marine is stationed on a ship...

jack2007 01-16-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emjayef (Post 284508)
We port in Danang for the day

Some cruise ships that show Da Nang on their itinerary actually dock at the port of Chan May just under an hour from Da Nang. So you need to check if your ship is one that docks in Da Nang itself. (I think Royal Caribbean uses the port at Chan May.)
If you get immigration forms to fill out, don't lose them as they are collected on return to the ship.
I've been looking at the possibility of having a holiday/cruise to Vietnam and I think I would prefer Hue to Da Nang.

Jim C even though it was 10 years ago what was your impression of Da Nang ?