Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Ports of Call Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/)
-   -   Taxi in Grand Turk (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/36428-taxi-grand-turk.html)

Bub 01-23-2011 01:34 PM

Taxi in Grand Turk

Has anyone rented a cab in Grand Turk for the day or part of the day? If someone has, I would like to hear your impressions and also a specific company to contact if possible. Is there much of interest to see there?
Thanks,

B

LHT28 01-23-2011 04:51 PM

There is not a lot to see & do
If you are into diving or snorkeling that is the main attraction
There is a person that rents golf carts outside the gate You can probably see the whole island in 1 hr ;)

Bub 01-24-2011 02:08 PM

Thanks LHT28,

Do you know the details of renting a golf cart? That would be perfect for us. Can they be reserved in advance and for how much?

B

LHT28 01-24-2011 08:10 PM

I think they were $60 for the day
they seat 4
Do a google for Nathan & Grand Turk golf carts

You need to walk out to the gates past the taxi stand
We just hitched a ride with another couple so not sure if you can book in advance

Bub 01-25-2011 02:11 PM

I emailed Nathan but have not received a reply. Is there a Tony who rents them also? What about a jeep, do you know anything about renting one of those?
Thanks,

B

susanmaz 01-27-2011 11:27 AM

I don't know how to insert the link, so here is the address for the Grand Turk Cruise Center website. CarnivalGrandTurk Home
There should be information there for you.

LHT28 01-27-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bub (Post 284907)
I emailed Nathan but have not received a reply. Is there a Tony who rents them also? What about a jeep, do you know anything about renting one of those?
Thanks,

B

Sorry I do not know any other information just that the couple we met hired the cart from Nathan outside the port gate

They did 3 laps of the island & met us walking back from town & gave us a lift with a short tour on the way back to the port

We did take a taxi into the small town ..not much there P.O. some stalls selling local crafts

susanmaz 01-28-2011 10:14 AM

DH and I took a cab from the center into town, I believe at that time we paid $5 each. It's true, there's not much in town. There is a small museum, but it was $10 to get in, which we thought was a bit steep. However, we stopped in at the "tourist bureau" and talked with a man who was some sort of island funtionary who was extremely friendly and very informative about the history - and future - of the island. We also met an elderly man working in a local warehouse who told us of his time in the Dutch Merchant Marines during WW II. He was so very proud of his island, it's history and it's future prospects. The island is small, but worth, I think, some little bit of exploration. Good luck and enjoy. Susan

penny3333 01-28-2011 01:02 PM

The snorkeling is great, too! The island really got hit by a hurricane, but it is a nice, clean, and friendly island. I think you'll enjoy your time there.

Bub 01-29-2011 05:56 AM

Thanks everyone,

Nathan did email me back and we have a golf cart reserved for the day. What is there as far as shopping goes? Is there some where to buy soft drinks and water? What are their crafts like - any pottery?

B