Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2002, 04:20 PM

Hi! My family is going on the NCL Star to Hawaii at Christmas. I'm looking for recommendations on types of excursions to embark on while we are on the islands and things we shouldn't miss. We go to Honolulu, Oahu; Kona; Lahaina, Maui and Nawiliwili, Kauai . Also, we want to take a helicopter tour. If anyone has any recommendations on where to do that and who to go through, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2002, 04:20 PM

Hi! My family is going on the NCL Star to Hawaii at Christmas. I'm looking for recommendations on types of excursions to embark on while we are on the islands and things we shouldn't miss. We go to Honolulu, Oahu; Kona; Lahaina, Maui and Nawiliwili, Kauai . Also, we want to take a helicopter tour. If anyone has any recommendations on where to do that and who to go through, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2002, 06:00 AM

I have cruised Hawaii on the old Independence a couple times and stayed in Hawaii. I do not know what excursions NCL provides, however when in Maui if time permits a trip up Haleakala is well worth it.

On Oahu Pearl Harbor, the Punch Bowl and Diamond Head are well worth seeing.

On the big island Hawaii a trip to Volcano National Park is good. Here is one good place to take a helicopter trip.

On Kuai a trip to the Fern Groto or a helicopter ride are good choices.

I hope this helps some. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2002, 06:23 AM

Adding to PEB's comments, if the weather is cloudy or if time is short on Maui, rather than Haleakala (best if weather is good, as the view is at least half of the attraction), a good alternative is the Iao Valley. It's a state park with wonderful terrain, tall green "needles" rising from the bottom of a narrow valley. There are hiking trails, and should be plenty of parking - you could do a shore excursion if offered, or rent a car and go there. Just off the top of my head, I believe there is a museum or some sort of informative visitor center nearby, not connected with the valley but with other interesting exhibits possible. They were just building it when we were there. The Valley should be a fairly short drive from Kahului.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:39 PM

Hawaii at Christmas. How wonderful! If you do helicopter tour, Volcano is a good bet on big island, but on Kauai, Waimea Canyon is a must. We've been to Hawaii 3 times, the 1st after Iniki hit, and toured island on the old Constitution. Magnificent old ship. Grace Kelly went on it to her wedding in Monoco. We had to change itinerary due to hurricane, as it had hit Kauai. Next 2 trips, we spent a each week in Kauai, going by mini bus to Canyon, and driving it ourselves on another. It's a hairy trip, but scenery magnificient. Can only imagine how it looks from a helicopter. A MUST is to get your helicopter through the ship. Hawaii is noted to having poorly maintained helicopters, operating out of people's back yards. You'll pay more going through a ship, but they go with companies that are located at airports with several copters. Also, if you have time, try Bubba Gump's restaurant in Laihaina. They serve seafood in buckets, and my mouth is watering as I'm writing this. Although we didn't do it, road to Hana is supposed to be great, having 500+ turns going and coming. I'm sure you'll have a great time in whatever you decide. Happy Holidays!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:23 AM

Road to Hana is great, but takes much of the day. Speed limit is 15 in many spots and if you are prone to motion sickness, be sure to be the driver, or take 1/2 dose of Dramamine (you don't want to miss the scenery)! We stopped for a picnic lunch, which we had brought with us, at Waianapapa (sp?) State Park - neat place, with its own small black-sand beach. Watch out for the local wildlife in the park: feral cats! They beg as much as the old Yellowstone bears used to years ago! Not much in Hana itself, the road is the attraction. Have a great time! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Karen
Old 08-14-2002, 10:42 AM

Seeing you will be in Hawaii at Christmas you may want to try a whale watch out of Lahaina. It will be mating season and birthing season for the humpbacks. Whale watching is always interesting.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, hanna, hawaii, helicopter, honolulu, kauai, ncl, oahu, picnic, review, reviews, ride