Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Default Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Cozumel on Carnival Conquest
Hey fellow cruisers. Just returned from 7 day Western Caribbean and will give a short review of our ports of call.

Montego Bay,Jamaica: We went on the ship tour to visit the Croydon Plantation. We highly recommend this tour for those wanting to see the culture of Jamaica. It was about an hour and 15 minute bus ride up in the mountains and a narrow and winding road (after you left the bay area), but there was lots to see. At Croydon, we had great views of the mountains and had a nice cool breeze. We got to sample bananas, different kinds of pineapple, jack fruit and all sorts of fresh grown fruit. We sampled pineapple juice and the famous Blue Mountain coffee and the after the tour, we were served a fabulous lunch of jerk chicken with rice and peas, fresh cooked greens, and marinated cucumbers. It was a great tour and we even go to meet the plantation owner to ask questions and visit for a few minutes. We were never approached by a single person since we got off the ship and went straight thru the terminal building to our tour bus. When we came back to the terminal, we purchased a few t-shirts and trinkets.

Grand Cayman: We went on the ship tour The Best of Grand Cayman. This was very good as we went by all the best spots on the island. After driving down the main road and seeing some of the interesting places, we stopped at Hell for photos, post cards, etc. We were there for about 20 minutes. We went to the Turtle Farm and stayed there for an hour and 15 minutes. This was a great thing to experience. We went to 7 mile beach for about 20 minutes. The actual tour was scheduled for 3 hours, but our tour guide was great and it lasted 3 hours and 45 minutes....he gave us some extra sites. We shopped after the tour and then took the tender back to the ship to beat the rush.

Cozumel: We docked at Puerta Maya pier. This was our beach day and we went back to Paradise Beach (third time there). There were 4 ships docked that day, but Paradise was not crowded at all. We got there around 10:20 a.m. and got beach chairs and umbrella on the water front for $2 each. We ate a great lunch there on the beach and it was delicious. I paid $12 for the wrist band so I could snorkle, kayak, and use all the water toys. My wife enjoyed relaxing in the shade. We took a taxi back to the terminal area to shop, then headed back to the ship for a nice shower and ice cream.

We truly enjoyed all our excursions!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Thank you so much, Rodney. Did you bring back any Blue Mountain coffee? I thought it was a bit strong for my liking, but did enjoy sampling their rum. I did a different plantation when I was in Mo Bay, can't remember the name, but it was fun. We did get to see a lot of the island and Jamaica is a very beautiful island. It is too bad that a few spoil it for the rest. Did you send a post card from Hell?

Reading this has really made me long for the Caribbean!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Hi Penny. We did purchase a few small packets of Blue Mountain coffee for our three sons. I tasted it, but it is too strong for me. We sent several postcards from Hell. One to our pastor and youth minister (ha-ha) and one to ourselves just to see how long it will take! We will put our card in our photo album for an additional memento.

Caribbean....no other place like it...can't wait to go back!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 AM

Rodney, thanks for the review. Somehow I missed you post when you first wrote it. I'm glad you enjoyed the stops you made.

Did you receive the post card you sent yourself yet?
Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Blue Mountain coffee is strong. Everyone is always saying how wonderful it is, but it's just not for me I'm betting on 3 weeks for the post cards to arrive. I sent my mom one from there years ago. I can't remember how long it took, it might have been 6 weeks, but it was a long time after I had returned.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:08 AM

We received our postcard to ourselves yesterday and we were surprised...it only took 11 days total, and some of those days were not mail days! So, now we have another item to put in our photo album (yes, we still have actual photos and not just on cd)...haha. This cruise was the best one yet, so we can't wait to go again to make the next one "the best one yet".
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM

I love that you have photo albums. Most of our pictures are digital, but I do make a photo album of each trip, processed by one of the companies that does that, usually Apple.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 PM
It doesn't matter that our pictures are digital - I have to print them out for DH, who believes that the computer is an evil brain and time sucking implement and will not sit down in front of it to look at pictures - not even to choose which ones to print . . . the problem is that I keep saying I'm not going to take pictures, but end up doing it anyway - for example the 269 pix from our 3rd Mexican cruise . . . .
Old 05-17-2011, 12:39 PM

I have mine developed from my 35mm cameras, one CD and one print. The digital ones, my hubby uploads then I post them to my Kodak account. I still like my 35mm because the digital can hold so dang many pictures, it's hard to remember where everything is. I think we have an option to caption the pictures, but I don't know how to use it.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Default local shore excursion companies?
Hi, Just read the post of your shore excursions. Has anyone ever used island marketing/cozumelcruiseexcursions.com for Jamaica- Dunn Falls/Tubing or Cuzumel-Tulum Ruins? If so, how was it? Shoretrips.com was another company that someone else suggested. We are leaving Aug. 13 so if you can reply asap it would be greatly appreciated. I hear the good tours book up fast.
Thanks!

Tags
beach, call, carnival, carnivals, cayman, caymen, conquest, cozumel, cruise, cruises, excursions, grand, jaimaca, jamaica, port, reviews