Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Ports of Call Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/)
-   -   Have you ever visited Mt. Vesuvius in Naples (Pompeii) ? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/38081-have-you-ever-visited-mt-vesuvius-naples-pompeii.html)

Ariane 05-06-2012 06:17 AM

Have you ever visited Mt. Vesuvius in Naples (Pompeii) ?

Hello
I will be on Princess Crown's next July, and I have been told to visit Mt. Vesuvius (Pompeii) and go inside the volcano la "Solfatara". Also, I have been told that is a "must see".

But I don't find any reviews on that tour.

Wath do you suggest ? Pompeii, Herculaneum ?

If you visited Mt Vesuvius, is there a way to get close by train ?

thanks a lot.

alexandra cruiser 05-06-2012 06:35 AM

Try googling it and look on you tube,,

we did it with a tour years ago,,,quite a sight,,but sad to see Pompei,,so many died and you can really see the destruction.

Not sure about train there,,,didnt see or hear about it at the time..

We didnt go "inside" volcano per se,,,but was quite strenuous walking ,,on uneven rocky ground and climbs.Was younger then and no problem...so assess your physical ability.

So,,if above helps you to "picture" it and looks good,,,I say go for it,,,know I ll never see that area again and glad I did. Sorry, can t give current info,,maybe others??

Ariane 05-06-2012 07:24 AM

thank you ! I found great videos on You Tube.

robertp 05-22-2012 12:38 PM

we visited pompeii last year, beautiful place. we took the cruise ship's tour but i think i would do my own thing next time. train station is very close to entrance and there are loads of english speaking tour guides vying for business. i think this is better because with the organised tour you had to go at everyone elses speed, i am a bit slow, and couldn't linger where you wanted.

bit of a tip though, bring lots of water cos absolutely no shade and the sun is lethal, wear very comfy shoes cos everywhere is cobblestones, and have a look around the cameo factory i got a beautiful cameo necklace as a souvenir.

Frase 05-19-2013 09:45 PM

I plan on taking a Mediterranean cruise in July, also to Naples. I was wondering, since it is so hot (as you described) would it be okay to wear shorts and a T-shirt? I don't know where, but I thought I heard that Italians (and other Europeans) resent the way tourists dress. Since I live in a very tourist oriented city, I could sort of understand. Also, I heard that the street criminals (pick-pocketers and worse) could tell who the tourists are by the clothes they wear and it might be a good idea to dress a little different, to avoid attracting their attention.

janfred 05-19-2013 10:53 PM

Frase,
We went to the Mediterranean twice last summer. It was some Churches that you could not enter with shorts but the ship will tell you the dress code. Everyone was in shorts just about but the days we went into Rome etc and certain Churches were going to be visited. When you are in certain places there are hundreds of tourists to tell you the truth. My husband tried to wear a polo shirt sometimes instead of a T-Shirt but he likes his shorts! It is hot but your from a hot place too. I felt Pompeii was a must see and if time the Herculaneumn

Frase 05-20-2013 07:17 PM

Thank you, Janfred.

janfred 05-21-2013 03:40 AM

Frase,
I thought of something if you go to Pompeii as you leave near the Cameo Factory you will see a stand making fresh lemonade slush with those famous giant lemons the size of grapefruit....I was burning up and that was the best drink ever on that hot day...get one for me !!