Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

View Poll Results: With Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and soon Carnival putting the kabash on travel agent rebates, how w
Prices Will Go Up 7 43.75%
Princes Will Go Down 0 0%
Prices Will Stay the Same 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 08:45 AM

Old 08-15-2004, 08:45 AM

Old 08-20-2004, 06:34 AM

I have been thinking about this poll question and have come to the conclusion that there are 2 probable scenarios, based on your perspective. First, I don't think the cruise lines will raise prices based on this new policy. So in actuality the "real" price of cruises will remain the same. But, for the consumer who looks to such places as the internet for discounters and rebate agencies offering "below actual cost" pricing before they will book a cruise - prices will appear to have increased. Particularly since the cruise industry seems to be rebounding from its recent pricing slump and prices are slowly inching back up to "Pre-911" level. JMHO, for what it's worth.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-20-2004, 09:21 AM

I think you are right. It was interesting, in an interview, a spokesperson from Royal Caribbean mentioned that while rebating was prohibited, adding value added features was not. Things like pre paid shore excursions, cruise terminal transfers, and the like was perfectly fine.

Tom
Old 09-20-2004, 03:08 PM

To All....I applaud the RCCL and CCL for prohibiting agent rebating....now lets see the big internet giants compete with us on real service. Before these new rules came into affect I had actually stopped selling CCL because of the cheap fares and I don't have time to deal with customers who want to save a buck or two when other clients want a quality vacation and willing to pay for it. Work smarter not harder.! Other industries do not allow rebates so why not the travel industry? Actually I'm finding that selling the upper end of vacations is much easier in the long run than dealing with those that want a cheap vacation. The upper end know what they want and are willing to pay for it. On the other hand the cheapos don't know what they want they dont want to pay either...I just wish that the cruise industry as a whole would be consistant and prohibit rebating all together. It would be a win win for everyone....except the internet giants. Oh well.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:24 AM

I'm hopeful that the no-rebate policy will stabilize pricing. For anyone who's worried, cruises will still be affordable - there are so many ships out there that competition is still fierce, and that will keep prices from rising into the "only the rich can buy it" category. In the meantime, it should help out the local travel agents, who can offer knowledge and service to those cruise customers who want that little bit of extra help. If those neighborhood agents ever get driven out of business, then only the "big guys" will be left in charge, which does not help the consumer!

Closed Thread

Tags
cariben, rebates, royal