Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 03:26 AM
PoorMom,
I think the ship tenders at Goat Island. Do you know anything about The Mooring or is the Landing close to where the Tenders drop us off?
I did look at the Landing also and the White Horse Tavern too. So many choices HA ! Love it

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Goat Island ! I stayed at a hotel on Goat Island (Can't remember the name) when I was attending a conference in Newport. I got there late in the evening and when I woke the next morning, I drew my drapes and was astonished to find that I had the most spectacular view of the ocean from my room...May the whole trip.
Have also done the Mansions of a couple of occassions and they are overwhelming; such extravagance back in those days!

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM
It is so true Peter,
I have been to the Mansions several times and never tire of them at all. Love the history. It is sort of funny to grow up in RI and later in life traveled to faraway places but never seen Goat Island Ha! I am so excited to see Boston that is a little strange too!! We grow up in these places and never explore, it seems to me at the time that all I did was to dream of faraway places, now I want to see what I missed that was so very close to home!!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 04-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator

I love Newport! Peter, we stayed at the same hotel for our anniversary 10 years ago, and I don't recall its name, either. (Of course, it might have changed since then.) We've been back a few times since, including a couple of day trips as well as cruise ship ports of call.

Back in Boston, the Freedom Trail and USS Constitution are must-sees if you're into American history (or just want to learn more). As it's part of the Park Service, the Freedom Trail is (pardon the unintentional pun, free), although there are admission charges to some of the attractions along the way. The North End is a favorite neighborhood. Janfred, most of the restaurants are along, or just off of, Hanover Street. There are so many to recommend. General rule is to walk by, take in the aroma, and if you see lots of diners inside, go for it! No matter what, stop into Mike's Pastry on Hanover Street. I usually don't eat sweets, yet I make an exception here.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks so much for all the good information. I got a neat book on the Top 10 of Everything in Boston and Mike's Pastry is #1 under Bakeries !
Restaurants near the North End show #1 as Maurizio's #2 Taranta and #3 is Daily Catch....Man one day is not going to be enough

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
boston