Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I see in many excursions a drop off for time at Quincy's Market....is this the same as North Market that people refer to as Little Italy? This is where we want to go, I am confused
A couple from Canada told us about it and it was also on TV for a few Cooking shows..anyone know what the heck I am talking about? How about you LisaP and Poormom ?? Thanks

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Close, although not exactly the same. One of the buildings within the Quincy Market complex is called North Market, so I understand the confusion. The area you want is called the North End... it's a section of Boston with a lot of history (the Freedom Trail runs through it) and some wonderful Italian restaurants. We actually do some of our grocery shopping there.

It's not a very far walk from Quincy Market to the North End... just follow the red line on the sidewalk that marks the Freedom Trail. Just ask one of the Rangers to point you in the right direction, as the Freedom Trail is one large loop.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks so much for clearing this up, this is a hugh help and I read about the freedom trail, it sounds like we could do this on our own. You have an idea for a restaurant there? I heard it was a great place to get some REAL Italian food.
Thanks again
Jan

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Jan
I'm sorry. I think I replied to a post about a lobtah roll and then never got back to you. Lisa would know the North End better than me.
There are simply soooo many choices. I can't think of any BAD restaurants in the North End.
I would definately go for the Italian here and save your lobster eating for Maine. The water up there is colder which makes for a harder shell and a meatier critter. try googling the phantom gourmet. He does a lot of ratings based on price, presentation, service etc.
And wave when you sail past Cape Cod

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 04-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Poormom,
Thanks so much for your help. We stop in Newport, RI first and that is where we are on the hunt for LOBTAH !! My family is meeting us at the Pier, I am very excited, I haven't been home for years :0)

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LisaP:
Close, although not exactly the same. One of the buildings within the Quincy Market complex is called North Market, so I understand the confusion. The area you want is called the North End... it's a section of Boston with a lot of history (the Freedom Trail runs through it) and some wonderful Italian restaurants. We actually do some of our grocery shopping there.

It's not a very far walk from Quincy Market to the North End... just follow the red line on the sidewalk that marks the Freedom Trail. Just ask one of the Rangers to point you in the right direction, as the Freedom Trail is one large loop.
I spent a couple of days in Boston back in 2001, and had the pleasure to walk the Freedom trail. Highly recommended!

And Quincy Market is a "must to see". When off duty we often had breakfast there and enjoyed the sunday morning calmness in the square there. Wonderful memories

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
We walked the freedom trail at our stop in Boston. Long walk but well worth it. Took the shuttle that dropped us off at the Quincy Market, walked over to the Boston Common and followed the trail from there. Most interesting was the tour of the USS Constitution at the end of the trail. Then we walked back to the Market, had a late lunch and caught the shuttle back to the ship.

Need some cruise help?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jill SC:
Most interesting was the tour of the USS Constitution at the end of the trail. Then we walked back to the Market, had a late lunch and caught the shuttle back to the ship.
Thank you for clearing my mind. I've been twisting my brain trying to remember the name of the navy ship

Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Oh yes, the USS Constitution !! Banged my head a couple of times on board and I'm not very tall. Lots of small yankees back then I guess.
We always visit Hay Market if we are there on weekends as it is not only a hoot to see so many kinds of meats, fish, ect but to just people watch. I remember once watching a college initiation where they lined up the students and pitches lots of rotted fruit and veggies at them. Oh yes, then there is Donovan's for a pint or two and mingle with the locals as they watch a Boston team on the tube.

Peterl
Peterl

Old 04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
We love the Landing in Newport. It's right on the water.
A few weeks back, we went to the Red Parrot. A fun old historic place that's very cozy.
If you go there, you have to try the Lobster Crab 'Martini' from the raw bar.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers

Closed Thread

Tags
boston