Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Ports of Call Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/)
-   -   How should I get back to the airport? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/4523-how-should-i-get-back-airport.html)

dukeshavenfarms 01-06-2010 11:36 AM

My wife and I and 2 of our closest friends are taking a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas in March and our flight out of Orlando leaves at 10:50 that morning to head back home. Should I hire a car to take us back, rent a car(I don't think I will have enough time to pick it up and drop it off), or take RC's transfer back to Orlando? Thanks for any help!

Dave 01-06-2010 12:00 PM

That flight time probably wasn't a good idea since you will be pushing things. This is more true now that TSA has ratcheted up security. Both the rental car and the cruise line transfer are not a good ideas. Too much time eaten up. The realistic options are grab a taxi or reserve a private car or shuttle. Since I have personally been hosed at Port Canaveral by my private limo not showing up, I'd say just grab a cab. They do have van taxis too. It won't be cheap. $140 or so.

MCPayne 01-06-2010 05:30 PM

I agree with Dave, you're pushing it. From what I've read it's at least 45 minutes to the airport from Port Canaveral. If you can, I would do self debarkation and grab a cab and pay whatever it costs.

dukeshavenfarms 01-07-2010 04:57 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Are there a lot of cabs at the port when you get off the ship or should I just get a service to pick us up, where there are 4 of us with our luggage? Thanks again!

MCPayne 01-07-2010 03:02 PM

From my past experience (although not from Port Canaveral), cabs were lined up and waiting. You shouldn't have a problem getting a cab.

Dave 01-07-2010 04:15 PM

Port Canaveral has a taxi station with plenty of them lined up waiting on debarkation morning.

maudde 01-09-2010 06:25 PM

Would the best option be flying into Orlando or Melbourne to get to Port Canaveral? What is the best way to get to and from the ship? Thank you

MCPayne 01-09-2010 07:05 PM

Orlando would probably be better. Depending upon how many of you there are, the options would be either to do a 1-way car rental or purchase transfers through the cruise line. It's a good 45 minutes or so to Port Canaveral from Orlando, so don't do a taxi, as it will be over $100. Transfers are usually around $35 per person, depending upon what cruise line you go on.

Dwayne 01-09-2010 08:33 PM

Hi maudde, Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Orlando would most likely be the better choice as it gives you more options for transportation to the pier.

Dwayne

maudde 01-09-2010 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. We will be on RC and there are four of us. This will be our first time in Port Canaveral. Last cruise we were going out of San Juan, so it wasn't an issue. With the port being a ways off from any airport, I wasn't sure which airport or transportation. Probably with four, a one way car rental would be best then. It looked like Melbourne was close as well, but not having ever been to that area of Fl. I wasn't sure. Thank you for the advice.