Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2005, 02:03 PM

Greetings,
I am finally ready to take the cruise plunge and looking to reap the benefits of your experiences. Where do you recommend going for a first cruise and who do you like for cruise lines?
I am 27 and will be traveling with my fabulous husband, possibly my mother-in-law (equally fabulous lady), my parents and possibly my older sister and her sweetheart.(No kids) Since we consider ourselves still newlyweds (2.5 yrs) we are expecting to all get seperate rooms.
We are open to spending a reasonable amount and are looking for a luxurious environment to enjoy and explore.
I was thinking of the caribbean, but would love to know what you all would recommend. I am open to mexico, hawaii etc..
We desire sun, fun, and good snorkling.

I would appreciate any input
Thanks in advance for your time

Holly Rose

Owner/Artist
Satori Designs
http://www.satoridesigns.com/
Old 01-01-2005, 02:03 PM

Greetings,
I am finally ready to take the cruise plunge and looking to reap the benefits of your experiences. Where do you recommend going for a first cruise and who do you like for cruise lines?
I am 27 and will be traveling with my fabulous husband, possibly my mother-in-law (equally fabulous lady), my parents and possibly my older sister and her sweetheart.(No kids) Since we consider ourselves still newlyweds (2.5 yrs) we are expecting to all get seperate rooms.
We are open to spending a reasonable amount and are looking for a luxurious environment to enjoy and explore.
I was thinking of the caribbean, but would love to know what you all would recommend. I am open to mexico, hawaii etc..
We desire sun, fun, and good snorkling.

I would appreciate any input
Thanks in advance for your time

Holly Rose

Owner/Artist
Satori Designs
http://www.satoridesigns.com/
Old 01-01-2005, 02:29 PM

Additionally
For the amount of people that will be along (6) is there a way to find to an awesome suite - mulitple rooms and still have "newlywed privacy"?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly-Booking on line VS. Travel Agent ?>???

Thanks a ton!!!
Holly
Old 01-01-2005, 05:56 PM

First off. Find a good travel agent that has specialized in cruises. As a first time cruiser, you will need the advice and care of an agent.

From what it sounds like, you might want to try a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise on one of Royal Caribbean's Radiance class ships (or possibly Voyager class depending on when you are going)

These ships will offer something for everyone in your group. Here are a copuple of reviews that you might find interesting;

http://www.cruisereviews.com/RoyalCa...ftheSeas22.htm

for the Radiance class, and

http://www.cruisereviews.com/RoyalCa...ftheSeas30.htm

For Voyager class ships.

Let us know if you have any questions

Tom
Old 01-01-2005, 06:25 PM

If you're looking for someone warm ( as opposed to Alaska, etc), then I would also recommend Western Caribbean. I haven't been on enough cruises to really give you a preference on ships, but I've been told to check out Oceania, Celebrity and Holland America if you prefer a kids-free environment.

Of course, since you're based in Vancouver, you might easier get to the Mexican Riveria, but for pure choice of excursions/things to do and enjoyment at sea, I'd say Western Caribbean.

Have a great cruise!
Kate

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 01-01-2005, 07:43 PM

My vote for a first time experience would be the Caribbean also. I know Western Caribbean has been suggested, but depending on the specific ports I enjoy much of the Eastern Caribbean just as well. Based on the fact that you are traveling as a family, with no children, I would lean towards any of RC's Radiance Class ships.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-01-2005, 07:49 PM

You also asked about suites. On the Radiance Class ships, there is an owner's suite that offers a connecting junior suite allowing you the privacy you require, with the benefits of a beautiful 512 sq ft suite with concierge service.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-01-2005, 08:39 PM

Thank you so much for your recommendations.

We looked at the radiance ship and it looks excellent. I have had great luck with online booking in the past (albeit for hotels and flights thus far)- have you heard anything about vacationstogo.com? Or if that feels too specific to comment on: online booking?
(It's amazing to have this forum as a resource)

I was looking at the trip which stops at Coco Cay and St Thomas.

Thank you Tom, Kate and Nancy for your valuable input. Tom, Are you a travel agent?

Nancy, while I am guessing the owners suite may be a little over what I was wanting to pay, I certainly will check it out.

We received 4 inches of snow today, so I am relishing the thought of cruising the caribbean.

Happy New Year!!

I look forward to reading your replies.

Holly
Old 01-02-2005, 04:17 AM

Holly,
The owner's suite would probably not be in my budget either, but it sounded like a nice option for your group.

CocoCay is one of RC's private islands and if you are looking to just kick-back, relax and lounge in the sun - it is wonderful. I am a beach person, so I enjoy the cruiselines private islands.

As for St. Thomas, I know it can get quite crowded and congested depending on the number of ships in port, but I still think it is an idyllic island with lots to do. I just spent a week there last May.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-02-2005, 08:19 AM

Holly, no I am not a travel agent. I have owned a good number of them, but sold my last one back in 1994. I just really enjoy cruising and have tried to figure out how to make a living taking cruises...VBG. It is tough work, but someone has to make the sacrifice....VBG.

Also, I would second the idea of moving into a premium line, if you would prefer to cruise without children. Oceania and Celebrity would be excellent choices. HAL tends to get an older crowd and you and your husband might be the youngest ones on the ship.

Here is a review of Oceania's Regatta

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Oceania/Regatta1.htm

and here is one for Celebrity's Infinity. These will give you an idea of the difference between mass-market and premium lines,

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Infinity29.htm

Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, recommendations, time