Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 10:18 AM

I just wanted to ask some questions to people that are experienced with Port Canaveral departure point. What airport is closest to PC? I'm assuming Orlando but not sure. Would it be safe for me to book airfare the same day of cruise departure from Boston at the beginning of February? The only thing really preventing me from doing that is the chaos that happened b/c of the snow storm just this passed weekend.
Would it be smarter for me to book a hotel room for the night before? Does anyone know of any hotels that will provide transportation to Port Canaveral the next morning, or am I really asking too much.
I'm kind of on a budget so the less money the better, and of course it's more money for the flights to depart the day before rather than the day of the cruise.
If the hotel is not the way to go, what would two people frugally do to get to Port Canaveral from Orlando airport?
Sorry if this is all jumbled and confusing but hopefully you caught my drift.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:18 AM

I just wanted to ask some questions to people that are experienced with Port Canaveral departure point. What airport is closest to PC? I'm assuming Orlando but not sure. Would it be safe for me to book airfare the same day of cruise departure from Boston at the beginning of February? The only thing really preventing me from doing that is the chaos that happened b/c of the snow storm just this passed weekend.
Would it be smarter for me to book a hotel room for the night before? Does anyone know of any hotels that will provide transportation to Port Canaveral the next morning, or am I really asking too much.
I'm kind of on a budget so the less money the better, and of course it's more money for the flights to depart the day before rather than the day of the cruise.
If the hotel is not the way to go, what would two people frugally do to get to Port Canaveral from Orlando airport?
Sorry if this is all jumbled and confusing but hopefully you caught my drift.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 AM

Yes, Orlando is the right airport to fly into and I would certainly fly in the day before the cruise. Even if weather isn't an issue, a delayed flight could cost you making the departure time. Through in the weather and it becomes a real potential issue.

There are several hotels around the airport area that offer shuttles to/from the airport and then I would suggest that you take Royal Caribbean's shuttle to Port Canaveral. It is about a $60 or $70 taxi ride and not all that easy to find.

On my last cruise from Port Canaveral (Navigator of the Seas) the ship was delayed due to a medical emergency. I intended to take a taxi to the port, but ended up taking a shuttle back to the airport and bought transfers from RCI. It was painless. I believe the transfers were around $22 or so. If you do not purchase them in advance, you can always make arrangements at the airport.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 12-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Banned

It is always a tough decision about the air travel. Sometimes it costs us more for the air than the cruise. We have found it cheaper to get our own fare but that you risk missing the boat so you have to go in the day before. When doing this you have added expenses of room and additional meals. You also have to take additional time off. The one advantage of going in a day early is you are rested and not worn out on the first day of your cruise. On one cruise we though we were safe with going in on the same day in April. Wrong. There was not a problem at our airport but at the one that our plane was comming from. It was fogged in. Other times there have been security breaches were someone busted thru the gates. Lots of fun. Equipment malfunctions and also medical emergencies. Lucky for us these all happpened when we booked thru the cruise line.

Sorry but I don't know anything about Port Canaveral. When it comes to traveling I guess we just have to bite the bullet and pay the price. Like the man says pay me now or pay me later.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:39 PM

Tom,

Where can I get info on the shuttle to Port Canavaral from the Orlando airport? We are trying to avoid renting a car that will just end up parked at the port. We are flying in on the 11th for a departure on the 13th and then want to take a tour of NASA after we get off the ship at the end. Any thoughts?
Old 12-30-2004, 05:25 AM

Can you buy an RCI transfer for just the back end of the trip? We'll have a car for the days before departure, but are flying home the day the cruise ends. If so, do we arrange through RCI or travel agent?
Old 01-02-2005, 05:05 AM

You can purchase just one way transfer fares with the cruise lines. Your travel agent can take care of it for you pre-cruise or if it is for return to the airport after the cruise, those transfers can also be purchased once onboard the ship at guest relations.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, canaveral, canevarl, closer, closest, cruise, departs, florida, fly, leaving, long, nearest, port, questions, ship