Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 03:56 PM

Hi. We're taking out first cruise on the Grand Princess this coming January (2005). We're leaving out of Galveston and we're curious about any nice hotels close to the Pier there. Does anybody have any recommendations? And do you know what kind of parking they have at the Pier? My husband is a fanatic about our new car and he really wants covered parking.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:56 PM

Hi. We're taking out first cruise on the Grand Princess this coming January (2005). We're leaving out of Galveston and we're curious about any nice hotels close to the Pier there. Does anybody have any recommendations? And do you know what kind of parking they have at the Pier? My husband is a fanatic about our new car and he really wants covered parking.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:29 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Hotel in Galveston at the Seawall. It was an excellent choice and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. It is right next to Landry's Restaurant and there are several other good restaurants right around the area the hotel is in. The hotel would have let us park there and take the shuttle to the cruise terminal, but we elected to park our rental car at the cruise terminal.

As you approach the cruise terminal on Harborside Drive, you will see several lots advertising covered cruise parking (look for the one with the huge inflated dolphin) and they charge around $10 per day and will shuttle you to the ship. I would suggest dropping your luggage at the terminal before you park so you don't have to deal with transferring it into and out of the shuttle.

There is parking right at the terminal itself ($10 per day) but it is not covered parking.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions and have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 08-15-2004, 09:12 AM

Thanks Tom. You have been a lot of help!!
My husband will be so happy to here about the covered parking !

Renee
Old 08-17-2004, 06:04 AM

Renee,
I have also stayed at the Hilton Garden Hotel at the Seawall and agree with Tom. However, it is at the Seawall and not anywhere near the cruise ship port. If you want to stay near the port you will want to find a hotel near "The Strand". This historic area has been totally renovated and is really worth spending some time. I can highly recommend the Harbor House, right at the wharf - Pier 21. It is an old warehouse that has been renovated into a boutique hotel - really neat!!! They do offer free parking during your cruise (but not sure if it is covered).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-25-2004, 09:31 AM

Renee,
The Tremont Hotel, a 3 1/2 star hotel, is 4 blocks from the cruise pier. It backs up to The Strand. According to one website, they have parking for $10/day. I have never stayed there, but have visited it frequently during Mardi Gras and Dickens on the Strand (see below.) It is a beautiful, restored period hotel.

You should get to Galveston early the day before you sail so you have plenty of time to explore the historic district of Galveston. It is really delightful, and the historic Victorian homes tour is fabulous. At the end of the Strand, maybe 3 blocks from the back of the Tremont, is a railroad museum that is surprisingly good. And the Strand itself, and surrounding blocks (about 10 in all) has plenty of great shopping and restaurants. The beach side of Galveston is not worth exploring, especially if you are off to the Caribbean.

And for anyone that is leaving the first weekend of December, you cannot miss Dickens on the Strand. It is a 3 day festival with costumes, street vendors, and entertainers, all in Victorian England theme. The locals go all out. During the day it is a family affair, with jugglers, parades, etc. At night, it turns into the biggest block party you have ever seen (except maybe Mardi Gras!)
Old 10-18-2004, 09:41 AM

WE STAY AT COMMADOR ON THE BEACH. THEY SHUTTLED US TO AND FROM AND DID NOT CHARGE FOR PARKING AT ALL. ABOUT $60.00
Old 10-29-2004, 06:19 AM

I donít know if you are a bed and breakfast person but my wife and I stayed at 1816 Postoffice and they have a deal where you can park for free. It is a great place and the parking is wonderful. They have wine and cheese every evening and a good breakfast.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, free, galveston, hotel, transfers