Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2002, 06:18 AM

If you have ever been on a cruise,from your experience, what do you think could have been done to make you feel more welcomed while in port, and what do you value most from a cruise destination?
Old 07-14-2002, 06:18 AM

If you have ever been on a cruise,from your experience, what do you think could have been done to make you feel more welcomed while in port, and what do you value most from a cruise destination?
Old 07-14-2002, 09:11 AM

For me normally when I go on a cruise I have done a lot of research about the ports. Seeing I have done this I usually know what I want to see and do when in port. I prefer to see the sights and learn of the history of an area. Many times I have already set up my tours either through the cruise line or through tour outfits I have found through boards like this one and through people that have used them. So I really do not need someone at the ports that is trying to sell me a tour or bothering me to buy something I do not want. For me if I am checking out the port I prefer to just do it at my pace without being bothered. JMHO
Old 07-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Since you have little time to spend in ports on most cruises I look for short time excurions, do to lack of extended visiting time in ports you are confined to search out limited time to sightsee I would like to see more cruises, where you get to leave later at night so you have the evenings there so you can enjoy the night life also. besides the daytime hours
Old 07-14-2002, 08:35 PM

I guess it comes down to why you cruise - for the voyage or for the ports of call. The typical cruises out of Australia follow a circular route around the South Pacific & there really isn't much variation between ports. So shore excursions become of less importance than they appear to be in the Caribbean for instance.
I'm a believer in "The Cruise" as holiday not as hard work so I prefer a low key brief on exchange rates, good beaches, indiginous markets & local highlights. But I don't believe in 2-3 hour bus trips or conducted tours of the shopping centres.

But we go to have a good time according to our own desires & I have no beef with others who choose cruises by itinerary rather than by days at sea. And I have to admit to planning the Coastal Voyage ex Bergen to North Cape & it's hard to imagine a more destination intensive cruise than that (25 ports in 11 days)

Dave
Old 08-04-2002, 10:06 PM

Ports are great! Yes doing your homework helps! But a cruise is just that a cruise! I want to enjoy the relaxation of THE CRUISE. I don't want to wear myself out doing the town and touring!

Closed Thread