Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Has anyone had the pleasure of cruising around this channel? I am told it is the most planton-rich in the world so we are hoping to see a profusion of whales feeding....any help is appreciated. What kind of temp in Jan are we looking at? How about Elephat Island? Anyone rounded Cape Horn, Chile with the collision between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans? What is that like??? Temp?

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM

hello janfred
we made a cruise from ushuaia to rio in 2007. started in ushuaia to antarctic island and have storm 2 days, but this is normal between the atlantic and pacific. on the islands (elephant island, desception island, etc.) the weather was really good, cold but the sun was shining. we also cruised through the gerlachstreet. we saw a lot of whales, robes and thousand of pinguines. we needed for landing on the islands boots, because the tenderboats dont go straight to the land. we made our cruise end of feb and it was the last cruise for ships, because the winter was beginning. the greatest adventure were the icemountains. we were six days in antarctica and then go to falkland, also we had 2 days storm. hope you are not seasick, but the cruise is it worth.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 AM
austrian,
Thank you for your reply. I also met a woman yesterday who went to Antarctca and said it is unbelivable..so we are excited. We leave out of Buenos Aires and go to Port Stanley and than out to Elephant Island, Gerlach Straight and Paradise Bay and than to Ushuaia and Cape Horn,and a few other stops. Sounds like we need summer and winter clothes. Can't wait

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM

oh yes janfred for this cruise you need summer and winter clothes. i hope you will get your baggage from the airport. we have no winter clothes when we arrived our ship in ushuaia, because 2 of our baggages were lost in madrid. we could not buy anything in ushuaia, it was too late, therefore we had to buy socks and pullovers and capes on the ship and the shoes for landing on the island we borrowed from the cruise-staff. our "OUTFIT" was really funny. have more luck and enjoy your adventure.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM
austrian,
I fear my bags not getting to the ship. I guess it would be worse to not have summer clothes. I so love your attitude, sounds like you did not let it stress you, you can always wrap up in a blanket. It does sound like you went on a much smaller ship and not a big cruise ship, while cruising Elephant, Gerlache Streight and Paradise Bay we don't get off in tenders at all I do believe. I am looking forward to the Penquins in the Falkland Island's

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
antarctica, cruise, february, forecast, gerlach, gerlache, january, port, reviews, straight, strait, temp, temperature, temperatures, weather