Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Several Mexico bound cruise ships are now being diverter to San Diego due to swine flu concerns in Mexico. I know many passengers are disappointed but San Diego offers many of the same cultural and natural attractions our Mexican neighbor ports offer.

The San Diego cruise port is very conveniently located along the Embarcadero in downtown San Diego. There are several attractions within walking distance including the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum, a maritime museum, Seaport Village and Horton Plaza for shopping and the Gaslamp Quarter for restaurants and nightlife. I short taxi ride or bus ride away is Balboa Park where the famous San Diego zoo is located along with several excellent museums. Sea World is a 10 minute taxi ride from the cruise terminal. If you want to experience Mexico, Old Town is a 5 minute taxi ride or you can take the Trolley from the cruise ship port. Old Town is the first Western settlement in California and has several Mexican restaurants and shops that will compete with the best in Mexico. I would not recommend going to Tijuana , but if you are dead set on visiting Mexico take the Trolley from the cruise port to the Mexican border and walk across. Make sure you bring your passport and leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. Crossing the border back to the US can take hours if you go at the wrong time.

Further away from the port (a 20 minute taxi ride) is LaJolla. A beautiful costal village with excellent restaurants and high-end shops. If you want to hit the beach, the closest is in Coronado. Take a short ferry ride from the cruise port to Coronado and then take a short taxi ride and rent a bike and ride to the Hotel Del Coronado, a landmark in California. Another option is Mission Beach, Pacific Beach and Mission Bay only a 10 minute taxi ride. Miles of paved trails and white sand beaches for outdoor activities including kayaking, cycling, walking, surfing and swimming.

If you want to hit it all, take the Old Town Trolley. There is a stop in front of the cruise port and will stop at nearly all the attractions mentioned above. Check out www.sandiego.org for more tourist information. I have traveled the World and taken more than 20 cruises and San Diego is at the top of the best list.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Thank you for such wonderful and timely information.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Hi San Diego Cruiser, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Thank you for your informative post. I am so glad you mentioned La Jolla, one of my favorite spots in California. You're so right about the Mexican food in San Diego, every place I've eaten there was wonderful. I hope San Diego enjoys the influx of passengers. Best wishes, and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 PM

Don't forget the zoo, one of the best in the world. We love San Diego we have a favorite eating place across the bay from the ?Cruise ships. There are many good places to eat in a around San Diego. i just hate the drive down there. the I15 is a nightmare.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM

San Diego Cruiser,
I will of course check trip advisor and do the usual walk around and look at menu's while staying at the Sofia Hotel in October... but always like to ask someone who has been there and knows the area...

So here goes ---- If you were in the general area of the gaslamp district and Sofia Hotel, does a certain restaurant or a few come to mind for dinner choices???

Thank you for your help,

Rhonda
Old 07-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Cruisin4Fun, are you cruising with us in October?

Sonny
Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Sonny,
No, I am on right after you... I think that has happened on a few of my cruises... I have noticed you were always on right before us...

Great minds think alike... guess we are watching nice ships and great pricing... LOL...

I think "QueenofCruzin" is on with you though...

Rhonda

Closed Thread

Tags
advisor, cruise, diego, food, forum, hotels, mexican, port, powered, san, sandiegoportofcalltomexicanrevi, taxi, tour, trip, vbulletin, zoo