Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2005, 01:46 PM

Any tips for spending time at the beaches in Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta? We are cruising on RCI in early December but are not doing any excursions. We prefer to just go hang out at the beach.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:25 PM

The water on this cruise is not warm like the Caribbean, and will probably be coolest off Cabo. In all cases, you will need to travel a distance from the cruise port to get to the good beaches. Taxis should be in abundance, however. Not being a beach person, I can't advise specifically; perhaps Nancy or Tom can steer you to some good ones.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:57 PM

Hmm,
If you are looking for beach spots that are not on the cruise ship radar - here are some suggestions (borrowed from previous posts by Tom):
"For isolated beaches, in Puerto Vallarta visit El Anclote Beach at Punta Mita. Great palapa restaurants, but for some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, walk to the left facing the ocean and you will find deserted beaches that are to die for. After 45 miutes or so you will hit the surf spot known as "La Lancha". Hike up the steps over rock promenade into a wonderful cove with many more after it. It is the epitome of a "secluded paradise".

In Cabo, there is a great beach known as Zippers right before hitting San Jose Del Cabo, some 18 or so miles from Cabo San Lucas."

Now, if you are looking for a great party beach very close to the port in Cabo - just grab a water taxi and head for Medano Beach. This is one of my favorite on the Mexican Riviera route.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 11-19-2005, 04:26 PM

You will probably find the nicest beaches in Cabo. When the tender drops you off at the pier, you will find lots of water taxi booths. The water taxis will take you down to Lover's beach and the arch. Lover's beach is very small and can get crowded, but you can walk 100 yards to the west and come to a beautiful beach on the Pacific side. In general, they discourage swiming on the Pacific side of Cabo beaches, but the sand is nice and the waves are very impressive.

There is also a protected bayside beach that is right next to the town of Cabo with restaurants and activities available. It is the beach area you see to the right of the marina as you tender comes into the pier. To get to this beach you walk around the marina and then to the beach. It is a bit of a walk, but it is also accessible to the town.

The ship will also offer a shore excursion to a resort that will let you use their facilies for the day. You may be able to find similar deals on the internet for less. You may also be able to find such deals for less right at the marina when you get off the tender as there are booths set up selling all kinds of activities and excursions.

The sand of the beaches in Puerto Vallarta is corser than in Cabo, but there are still some nice areas. The Mismaloya area is a few miles south of the main town and can be reached by bus or taxi. (The buses run on regular schedules and are only about 50 cents. You take one bus to get to the main part of town and then another to get to the south side of town.) This is a nice pocket beach and is in a very beautiful setting with steep green hills behind the beach. There is a large resort set on the beach and you walk down the little road next to the resort (all of the taxis are parked here waiting) to get to the beach.

There is a large cement walkway that fronts the beach in the downtown part of Puerto Vallarta. (Again it can be reached by bus or taxi.) This area does not have the nicest beach, but there are interesting statues and plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.

If you want to use a beach at a hotel, the Krystal is just south of the Marina and has a nice pool and beach area.

I have never been to the beach in Mazatlan and can not really give you any information on their beaches.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:20 PM

I was under the impression that you could just wander into any hotel/resort and use their facilities (ie. beach, lounge chairs, pool) for the day. I read somewhere that they happily welcome cruisers. Is this true or not? I want beaches close to the area where the ship docks as I am pregnant and travelling with my 15 month old daughter....we are not up for long routes or much walking! Keep the tips coming!
Old 11-19-2005, 07:20 PM

Also is there boogie boarding (body surfing)? And if so where? Can you rent boards somewhere? Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:06 AM

Hello. My mom and all her girlfriends have been going to Mazatlan for about the last 10 years, for there timeshare. I went last December 1-4th to Mazatlan. They took me to there favorite beach, called "Stone Beach". The beach was just south of the cruise ship area, and the beach stretched as far as the eye could see. It was away from the hotel zone, and close the where the ships dock. They had palapa restaurants, and the usual people selling stuff on the beach, I don't think you can escape that, except for a private hotel beach. Anyways, the weather has hot enough to sunbath. But, once the sun started to go down, and the wind picked up, it would start getting pretty cold. Good luck, Lil' Lori Enjoy your cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 11-21-2005, 01:46 PM

Ok, one last question....when taking a water taxi or regular taxi to the beach/resort area what do I say? "Take me to the Beach"? Or do I need to ask for a specific hotel or area? Thanks!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:52 AM

When I landed at the airport, I asked for my specific hotel, and they took me right there. Hope this helps. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, beaches, cabo, cruise, day, dock, lucas, mazatlan, port, resort, san, ship, surfing, use, walk