Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Ports of Call Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/)
-   -   Ensenada Port Stop (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/853-ensenada-port-stop.html)

queenofcruzin 04-04-2009 11:37 AM

Going on the Radiance in October, and have never been to this port. Never have done a Mexican Riveria before...so any information is appreciated. There is a wine tour available through RCI, any experiences with that particular excursion ? Or better, a way to do this on our own ?

f-mattox 04-04-2009 12:41 PM

I have never been on the winery excursion but I have talked to a lot of people who have and I have yet to find one that thought it was worthwhile. And Ensenada is one port where you don't want to venture out on your own. There is a flea market right by the pier, but I would not go any farther than that on my own. I'm sorry to sound so negative, but I really think Ensenada is one city best seen from the railing of your ship.

queenofcruzin 04-04-2009 12:51 PM

Wow, f-mattox, I have most always agreed with your postings, and I am disappointed with how you feel about Ensenada. I will be taking your opinion to heart and safety in Mexico is certainly something that we are going to be considering in both of our stops, Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada. Thank you for your response.

Dave 04-04-2009 01:09 PM

No other way to put this - Ensenada is a dump. The reason ships stop there is because it is a convenient foreign port for compliance with the Passenger Services Act.

queenofcruzin 04-04-2009 01:25 PM

Dang, well I can only hope everyone stays safe, and our balcony view suffices. The solarium is always a nice stop, too. Again thank you for your response Dave, your posts often make me leave my seat, very very funny....

f-mattox 04-04-2009 04:38 PM

queenofcruzin, I'm sorry to disappoint you about Ensenada. I always try to be positive and emphasize the good in things; but there is just no way to sugar-coat Ensenada. As Dave says, it is simply a convenience to the cruise lines. They've tossed in a couple of excursions to make it seem like a "real" port; but it is a nasty little industrial/commercial town--and the danger is real.

The good news is that Cabo San Lucas couldn't be more different--safe, clean, friendly; you'll have a great time there.

Rick

gdjoslin 04-05-2009 06:18 PM

We were going to stop in Ensenada on our last Carnival Spirit cruise. do to weather they were going to stop there and drop one of the other port of calls.
They were passing out hand outs and telling everyyone NOT to wear there rings and other jewelry when they went ashore. that convinced me I did not want to go ashore there.

Digitalrick 04-10-2009 09:00 AM

The Bufadora is never a disappointment. I've been on the winery tour and loved it. We visited a large vinyard "LA Cetto" where we enjoyed nearly unlimited wine and cheese tasting. We then visited a smaller but intimate vinyard "Santo Tomas" where we got to taste the wines and take home a free bottle.

queenofcruzin 04-10-2009 09:23 AM

The first person to say positive things about Ensenada ! It sounds like you did the RCI Wine tour, by the wineries you visited. What kind of transportation did they provide ? Small van, motor coach ?

Digitalrick 04-11-2009 04:51 PM

We were provided an air conditioned charter bus.