Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Couldn't agree more on Spring break and Summer. Easter is early this year so we are actually going after the break; but then Spring breakers don't go on 15 day cruises.

We did the tour to San Jose last time too; beautiful countryside and we loved San Jose; but we decided to try something different this time: a vintage train ride to Orotina and a nature cruise on the Tarcoles River. I'll let you know how it goes. But most of all I'm looking forward to another cruise on Island Princess--I really love that ship.

Rick
Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi oreo; we cross-posted.

Looks like you did the same, or something similar to our excursion in Costa Rica. Glad you enjoyed the cruise and the excursion. You are so right--Costa Rica is wonderful. Tell us more about Volendam; I've been on one HAL cruise on Veendam and really loved it. Would like to try more.

Rick
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
Couldn't agree more on Spring break and Summer. Easter is early this year so we are actually going after the break; but then Spring breakers don't go on 15 day cruises.

We did the tour to San Jose last time too; beautiful countryside and we loved San Jose; but we decided to try something different this time: a vintage train ride to Orotina and a nature cruise on the Tarcoles River. I'll let you know how it goes. But most of all I'm looking forward to another cruise on Island Princess--I really love that ship.

Rick
Thanks Rick, You gave me an good suggestion for Coast Rica. I'll have to see if the tours for the train & Tarcoles River leave from Limon.

After our first cruise on the Island, we found that it's just large enough for us without all the extra people they pack in on the Caribbean Princess. The only thing I can see about the larger ships is slightly more public areas with lots more people to fill them. The showlounge on the Caribbean Princess was so crowded you had to get there 40 minutes before the show to stake out the seats and that was never as bad in the Island P.
Rich
Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oreo:
Hi RichC, we just got back from a Holland America cruise with Holland America on the Volendam and we had a port call in Porto Limon. We took an Eco tour that included a boat ride on the canals, a train ride and a banana plant. Thought it was very good. It amy not be offered on your ship, but feel some thing similar would be available. Costa Rica is a wonderful destination!!! Did a week long eco tour by bus that included the volcanos, the cloud forest, the beaches, and a tour of San Jose. Highly recommended!! Happy sailing to you.
Hi Oreo, I just saw you post about the train ride in Costa Rica. Thanks, it does look interesting. I can always book it on my own since I know about it & probably save money in the long run. I'd love to see the banana plant since I want to plant a few myself here in Florida. It's sort of a neat looking fruit as it's growing.
Rich
Old 03-01-2008, 01:41 PM
RichC, that's the differenced between a passenger/space ration of 36.3 for Caribbean Princess and 46.7 for Island Princess.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:42 PM

I don't know how those numbers compare to other cruise ships but I surely can see a big difference.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oreo:
We took an Eco tour that included a boat ride on the canals, a train ride and a banana plant. Thought it was very good.
Did you do all three things on the same tour? I've been searching around the internet today for something similar & couldn't find a tour company that offers all three in 1 tour. Perhaps Holland America put together a special one for their cruise line. It'll be a while before Princess sends their selection since we don't leave until late Oct.
Rich
Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
RichC, you can see the excursions now on Princess' website;

On the Home Page, click on the "Learn About Our Cruises" tab;
from the drop-down menu, select "Shore Excursions";
on the Shore Excursions page, from the Destinations drop-down menu, select Panama Canal; then, from the "Ports of Call" drop-down menu, select each of your ports.

There is an excursion from Limon that sounds very much like the one oreo described.

Or, you can view the actual brochure by clicking on "Order and Download Brochures" on the right hand column of the Home Page.

Happy Hunting.

Rick
Old 03-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks, I didn't think they were available yet.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM

RichC, yes it was all in one. Maybe HA only has this one I don't know. Hope you find something similar that is of interest to you. Happy sailing

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, canal, caribbean, costa, countryside, cruise, eco, excursion, island, panama, princess, review, reviews, rica, shore, tour, train