Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Ports of Call Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2002, 05:28 PM

Consumer Alert! We recently purchased a large diamond at Diamonds International on Cozumel!We have been on numerous cruises, including Princess, RCL,Celebrity and Carnival. In Each case we have been assured that Diamonds International (D.I.) had a best price guarantee and had a 30Day "NO HASSLE" return Policy! When we got home we found that not only had our vvs1 stone become an s1 (really big deal) but we had paid about $9,000 to much! Argh! When we tried to return it we were basically told to pound sand! We have since been reviewing the chat boards and find that Diamonds International is everywhere with very negative comments! You'l be Sorry...I'm not the only one. 50 Stores to Avoid!
Shame on you Cruise Lines! What a Partner********
Old 12-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Banned

Our local jeweler told us that his prices are just as good and in some cases better. Diamonds and gold prices are not easy to compare. He said he has see this many times where people come in with a piece of jewelery that was purchased on a trip for "appraisal". He said most of the time the people paid too much for a piece that he could have sold to them cheaper. Did this mean that they got ripped off. Not really. They just did not get the best deal.

My neighbor just bought his wife a diamond tennis bracelet from Penny's for Christmas. It was advertised to be worth $1100.00. It was marked down to $350.00 and than special sale to $225.00. How much is it really worth?

Gold jewelry is based more on artistic than weight.

Diamonds are based on color, size, cut and clarity.

If you are in the market for a diamond go to a reputable dealer and get a price on a diamond that has the cut, weight, clarity and then compare it to an equal that you want to buy. This is the only way you will know if you are getting a good deal.

What we have to realize is these shops are world merchants. They are in the business to make money and not to give us a great bargain. They are no longer the poor natives that have never seen a bag of beads. We are the suckers because we spend thousands of dollars on merchandise in another country and many times end up paying too much.
Old 12-28-2002, 12:06 PM

We have never purchased from them, as they obviously are not reputable, even though the cruise ships "recommend" them. This is not the real case. The stores pay $1,500 per ship/per day to get the recommendation. The cruise lines then go into the stores to see what has been purchased.They in turn get 15% back from all that's been purchased. I've mentioned before to beware of the obvious "too good to be true". When you read the information regarding their history, they've only been in business 12 years. If you would like great deals, Grand Jewelers in St. Thomas on Main Street, a family owned business for 27 years, and Columbian Emeralds at the pier shops in Barbados, are the 2 jewelers that I've done business with, and so have friends of mine, especially Grand Jewelers. They appraise out considerably more than the amount you paid. It stands to reason, that somebody has to pay for the cost of the ability to advertise on the ships, as well as the % given back to the cruise lines. Diamonds International also does a "bait and switch" tactic. They NEVER have anything that is advertised, will offer inferior merchandise to what is advertised, or to get something of equal quality, you pay considerably more. I figured I would try one more time on this trip to St. Thomas, as there was a locket I wanted. Never will I step foot in that place again. Hope this serves to warn any further people [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2005, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vlasek:
Consumer Alert! We recently purchased a large diamond at Diamonds International on Cozumel!We have been on numerous cruises, including Princess, RCL,Celebrity and Carnival. In Each case we have been assured that Diamonds International (D.I.) had a best price guarantee and had a 30Day "NO HASSLE" return Policy! When we got home we found that not only had our vvs1 stone become an s1 (really big deal) but we had paid about $9,000 to much! Argh! When we tried to return it we were basically told to pound sand! We have since been reviewing the chat boards and find that Diamonds International is everywhere with very negative comments! You'l be Sorry...I'm not the only one. 50 Stores to Avoid!
Shame on you Cruise Lines! What a Partner********
Old 07-03-2005, 11:27 AM

Unfortunately, agree with above. DI gold/diamond bracelet purchased for $3000 (their appraisal $3600)..appraises at $2000 in states! Diamonds Int'l in Aruba.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:38 PM

Diamonds International has their main office in New York. I am filing a complaint with the NY Attorney General's office. Anyone who is interested can go to the AG website and print off the complaint forms. It may not do any good, but it will make me feel better!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:16 PM

HipMamma, here is another e-mail that I received a couple of days ago regarding Diamonds International.

Although this e-mail has nothing to do with a cruise (although my wife and I took many in previous years) you might do your readers a good service by publishing my experience. My wife and I retired in St. Lucia, traveling back and forth from here to Canada. Last year I went to Diamonds International in St. Lucia twice to by some jewelry. My wife likes the Caribbean Topaz and I bought a necklace and earrings set with that stone. Later on in the year I purchased a bracelet and ring. All was well until my wife started to clean her jewelry a few weeks ago. The necklace and earrings were ok and look as nice as ever. However, when the bracelet and ring came out from the cleaning solution the Caribbean Topaz – each single stone - miraculously had turned to GLASS!! No color at all left, just regular, cut glass! Although the store employees and their manager acknowledged my plight they “could not do anything”, hiding behind their 30-day return policy. They did give me the name of their St. Lucia manager, a Mr. Hugh Jones, but this gentleman could not be reached as he was either out of office, or in a meeting, or just had stepped out etc. He never bothered to return any of my calls. In my desperation I turned to Diamonds’ International Head office in New York explaining my situation. All I am asking for is either a refund or exchange of the “glass” pieces. Four e-mails later I did not even receive the courtesy of a reply! I now have given them an ultimatum and if I do not hear from them by next week I will inform the St. Lucia Tourist Board, the Chamber of Commerce, all hotels and Cruise ship lines calling in St. Lucia and inform them of the fraudulent business practices of Diamonds International. Hopefully, this way other prospective purchasers of jewelry will be spared the frustration I am going through.

Thank you for listening. I realize there is little you can do but maybe by publishing the foregoing Diamonds International et al will wake up and seize trying to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists.

J.I. Kany

--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.9.4/57 - Release Date: 22-Jul-05

Tom
Old 08-25-2005, 07:41 AM

I also bought at Diamonds International in Ketchikan, Alaska. I also paid way too much, and purchased a laser drilled diamond. I was assured that this did not affect the quality or value. I hadn't done my homework before the cruise, and we made the decision to buy on the STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS made by the cruise line. We didn't know that these were paid endorsements. When I tried to get my money back, I also was told that I could only get a store credit. There is a law in Alaska (Alaska statute Title 45, Chapter 50, section 474) specifically designed to require cruise ships to disclose that these are paid endorsements in all written and oral communications. This was not done on the Norwegian Sun, nor do I imagine it was done on ANY cruise ship in port. I am still trying to get our money back (8100.00), and will also file a complaint with the Attorney General in Alaska and New York. Since they broke the law, I am also looking into a class action suit. Anyone else interested, please post.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2005, 06:38 AM

This is not the first time I have read negative reviews about Diamonds International.

I am definitely avoiding them at all costs. I might even consider gathering all these online chat forums material and presenting to the Ship's Onboard Shopper the next time I cruise.

I'd be very curious to know what they have to say.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005
Caribbean Princess 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Old 08-31-2005, 08:59 AM

Hi Kate,

thats a very good idea. I will also talk to them about this point.

They recommend these stores on every cruise and I must say, I hated all their shops and personal.

I prefer smaller family owned shops, where you get fair prices and very good service.

Marita,
maybe one more cruise this year in november or december

Closed Thread

Tags
alert, colombian, consumer, diamond, diamonds, emerald, forums, grand, international, jewelers, jewelry, prices, rip, socal, st, stores, switching, thomas