Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Ports of Call Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/)
-   -   St Thomas (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/ports-call-chat/9711-st-thomas.html)

cousins 09-22-2008 11:01 AM

Suggestions- what to do???? Paradise Point Tramway up Flag Hill, Travel to Mountain Top with view of Magen's Bay Beach, Skyline Drive and Charlotte Amalie harbor, Drake's Seat, Blackbeard's Hill hike to the Blackbeard's Tower
Main Street- 99 Steps down?

penny3333 09-22-2008 12:46 PM

Take a cab to Red Hook and a ferry to St. John, a cab to Trunk Bay. Or a catamaran sail/snorkel to Trunk Bay or Honeymoon Bay on St. John. Or a catamaran sail/snorkel to Buck Island. Or Megan's Bay or Coki Beach or Sapphire Beach or the tram or Blackbeard's castle or shopping. There's tons to do in St. Thomas, so it depends on what you really enjoy doing. You can also do more than one activity in a day because you're normally in port for 7 hours (by the time you get off and you have to be back 1/2 hour before sailing). Plus, you'll probably visit St. Thomas more than once.

cousins 09-23-2008 03:43 PM

Thanks Penny- The tram to Blackbeards Castle/& Tower- is that the Paradise Point Tram or a different one? Does the castle cost $ and is it worth it?
What is Red Hook?
We did hear about feeding dog biscuits to the fish at Coki Beach.
If we ferry to St John what is there, where do you get the ferry?
We were going to Megans Bay just for the views, but what is at Trunk Bay- the same?
Thanks Penny. This is only our third cruise, first on HAL so I doubt we'll get back to ST Thomas because there are so many other ports we want to get to...like the Panama Canal cruise!

Berick1234 09-30-2008 10:51 AM

We always take the tram ride up to the top of the hill...The last time it was $18 per person...You do get great views and lots of Kodak Moments....there is a bar and restaurant up there plus a few small shops....and of course in St. Thomas there is SHOPPING....Gold, Diamonds, Emeralds, etc....Happy Cruising...

Bob E

penny3333 09-30-2008 11:22 AM

I believe it's different, but it's been a while since I've done it. Blackbeard's was a tourist trap, but had good views and a good drink. Red Hook is the dock on the northeast corner of the island where the ferry goes. They do have a ferry from Charolette Amalie, but it doesn't run as often as Red Hook's ferry. The locals use Red Hook to catch the ferry to out islands. I believe Red Hook is every hour and it takes a little less time. Sapphire Beach is up by Red Hook. Trunk Bay is in St. Johns, shop in St. Thomas, prices are high in St. Johns. Trunk Bay is a pristine white beach, rated one of the top 10 beaches in the world. The water is crystal clear, warm and calm (unless there's a storm). There's a self-guided snorkel trail about 50 yards off the shore. There's a snack bar, lockers, a couple of shops, snorkeling gear rental, showers, and shade. Google Trunk Bay pictures, it is absolutely beautiful. Megan's Bay is a really nice beach, with all the ammenities, but definitely not Trunk Bay. You can google Magen's Bay pictures, too. St. Thomas is a great island, but it's not like it was 30 years ago. It's become pretty "Americanized". I was a teenager the first time I went to St. Thomas, it was just like I pictured a Caribbean Paradise. It's grown a lot since then, but it's still a great island. I'll bet you'll be back to St. Thomas, but if you've not been there, explore that island first. There's always another time for St. Johns. We went to Coki when we were there in January. The water was pretty rough, so the snorkeling wasn't too good. The body surfing was a blast, though. One of the staff on our last cruise mentioned something about Pineapple Beach. I haven't been there, but thought we'd try it this December. Enjoy St. Thomas, they have some really good prices there.

cousins 10-03-2008 05:46 AM

Thank you for the GREAT ADVICE it helps soooo much......